Thursday, July 16, 2009

CATES AND CHARLES TO PLAY


Wes Cates
Photograph by: Roy Antal, Leader-Post

REGINA — Wes Cates and Johnny Quinn are scheduled to make their 2009 CFL debuts Saturday when the Saskatchewan Roughriders play host to the Montreal Alouettes.
Both of their appearances with the Roughriders were delayed by injuries. Cates, a veteran tailback, was on the sidelines after recovering from off-season surgery on his right shoulder.


Quinn, a rookie returner, rolled his left ankle during a practice leading up to Riders regular-season opener against the B.C. Lions on July 3.
Cates worked out with the first-team offence on Tuesday. He was back in that familiar position on Wednesday.

"It feels good to get more repetitions with the first team,'' said Cates, who was a CFL all-star in 2008. "It's starting to feel like it usually does. When you're not practising with the team, you're timing is a little off. The more reps you get, the more natural it becomes.''
Cates's return means that Hugh Charles goes from starter to backup. Charles scored three touchdowns while filling in for Cates. The Riders are 2-0 and in sole possession of first place in the West Division.

"I'm a backup and that's how I see myself,'' Charles said. "I stepped up for Wes while he was out. It was my job to step up and do well for this team. I'm glad with the way it turned out and the way things are going.''

Roughriders head coach Ken Miller said the team will dress both import running backs for Saturday's game between the unbeaten division leaders. Charles may see some playing time at tailback and is also expected to return kickoffs. Charles is also looking forward to sharing time with Cates.

"You can call it 'Lightning and Thunder,' '' said Charles. "Wes is a patient, downhill runner. He's a lot bigger than I am, so he's the thunder. I have the speed and hopefully we can mix it up.''
Quinn was on track for his first start with the Riders before rolling his ankle on June 30. Quinn is expected to take over for rookie Eric Morris, who injured a knee during Saturday's 46-36 victory over the Toronto Argos. Morris handled kickoff and punt returns for the Riders' first two games of the season.

"It's tough because I wanted to get out there and help my teammates,'' said Quinn, who will handle kickoffs and punt returns. "Injuries are a part of the game and we have a good training staff here. They were able to get me back playing as soon as possible.''

Cates is also looking forward to his first game action since the Riders were beaten 33-12 by the B.C. Lions in the West Division semifinal on Nov. 8. Cates said he's not worried about the first full-contact hit on his shoulder.

"I've been getting banged around my whole life,'' said Cates. "I have to trust in the Lord that he's going to protect my body. If it's my turn to get hurt, then it is but I don't spend any time worrying about it.''

The performance by Charles gave the Riders time to wait for Cates to return to the roster fully recovered from the surgery.

"It didn't change how I felt,'' said Cates. "I was either going to be ready or not. Seeing Hugh perform like that makes the whole team more comfortable about my situation if I do go down. You always want to have two of everything. You need a good backup and we have that at running back.''

No comments: