Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ROB BAGG BACK WITH THE RIDERS


REGINA — A broken collarbone was a break of another sort for Rob Bagg.
Despite suffering the painful injury on the Saskatchewan Roughriders' final offensive play of the 2009 Grey Cup, the 25-year-old wide receiver has turned an adverse situation into a positive.
"(The collarbone) feels great,'' Bagg said on Wednesday after the CFL's Roughriders announced that he had signed a contract extension calling for two years plus an option. "It kind of worked out as a blessing, at least the way I'm looking at it, because I worked out solely with my legs for two months before I could use my upper body. The bone has healed nicely and my upper-body strength is back to where it was last year.
"My upper-body strength feels good and I'm faster than I was last year. The more I play football, the more I realize that it's all about speed, so the faster you can get, the better.''
Bagg's assessment of his increased speed is not based on the clock, being that he has not been timed lately in the 40-yard dash.
"It's more just a feeling of confidence, feeling like you have that burst off the line,'' he said.
Bagg burst into prominence in 2009 as a CFL sophomore, catching 59 passes for 807 yards and five touchdowns in 18 regular-season games. He was also named the Roughriders' outstanding Canadian.
The only downside was the latter stages of the Grey Cup. Shortly after Bagg was injured, the Montreal Alouettes marched into position to attempt a game-winning field goal. Damon Duval's initial kick from 43 yards was wide, triggering a momentary celebration by the Roughriders, but the West Division champions were called for too many men on the field. Duval's second attempt, from 10 yards closer, split the uprights and gave Montreal a 28-27 victory.
"I wouldn't say it was any worse for me than anyone else,'' Bagg said. "Obviously, it was a day that I don't want to forget, because I think there's things we can learn from it. We have to play a full 60 minutes and close the door when we have the opportunity. I'm definitely looking forward to getting another opportunity at that, hopefully this year, and finishing the deal.''
That is one reason why it was important for Bagg to finish the deal that was announced Wednesday. The Queen's University product was entering his option year before receiving the contract extension.
"I just wanted to make sure that I was going to be part of the Rider picture for the next three years,'' Bagg said. "I feel really optimistic about the type of team we're going to have. The Riders are a first-class organization and I just wanted to ensure that I was going to be a part of that for a few more years.''
Bagg will be part of an offence that should have an array of weapons. The receiving corps includes proven performers such as Bagg, Weston Dressler, Andy Fantuz, Jason Clermont, Chris Getzlaf and Prechae Rodriguez. They will work with quarterback Darian Durant, who recently signed a contract extension after being named a West Division all-star in 2009 — his first full season as a starter.
"I think we have the type of personalities among those guys (in the receiving corps) that we understand that individual success is going to come with team success,'' Bagg said. "I don't think we're going to have anybody who is demanding to touch the ball more. Darian spreads the ball around naturally. I think everyone's going to be put in position to make plays and that's all you can ask for.''
That said, he wouldn't mind adding another trip to the Grey Cup to the list.
"I don't think that there's any reason why we can't be back there this year,'' Bagg said. "The way that the Riders run an organization, I think that we should be good every single year.''

No comments: