Thursday, January 20, 2011

THE HAWK STAYS CLOSE TO RIDER NATION



Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive end Brent Hawkins made a pretty decent snow angel in his front yard in Regina on January 18, 2011.Photograph by: Don Healy, Leader-PostREGINA — Brent Hawkins has been nearly snowed under by his first taste of winter in Regina.

"It's different to see flurries during the day and then when you wake up in the morning, there is four to eight inches of snow on the ground,'' said Hawkins, who concluded his first CFL season as an import defensive end with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2010. "To have that take place every other day is ridiculous.''

Hawkins, 27, grew up in Jerseyville., Ill., where he said there was snow and cold. What he experienced there doesn't compare to what he's seen in Regina.

"There are snowbanks as high as I am and I'm 6-foot-3,'' Hawkins said. "I'm shocked by the amount of snow that you get so frequently.''

Hawkins had the misfortune to pick this winter as his first in Saskatchewan. Regina has been blanketed by a record 120 centimetres of snow since late October. The previous high up to this point was 113.4 centimetres recorded in 1974. Then there's the cold. There were sub-zero days in Jerseyville but rarely as consistently as the temperatures recorded in Regina.

"When that wind picks up, with this weather, the cold is truly a force to be reckoned with,'' Hawkins said. "Our car is 20 steps from our house and I told my fiancée that she had better put on clothes and a hat to run to the car. She never knew that she would have to put on a whole body suit for a run to the car.''

Hawkins is spending the winter in Regina with his fiancée, Andrea, and their one-year-old son, Kai. They are also expecting a daughter in early March. Hawkins expected some extreme weather, but felt it was best to remain in the city where he earns his living in the CFL.

"I don't like to stray too far away from the team that I'm on,'' Hawkins said. "I like to stay close for training and those kind of things. I also don't want to get caught up in all of the distractions that can take place at home.''

Hawkins underwent surgery on Dec. 6 to repair the right shoulder that he injured during the 2010 season. He was sidelined for five regular-season games but returned for the Riders' run to the 2010 Grey Cup game. The Riders were beaten 21-18 by the Montreal Alouettes on Nov. 28.

"The rehab has gone really well,'' said Hawkins, who is also considering surgery on his left shoulder. "I'm back lifting and working out and that's not bad for a month after surgery. I've made a miraculous recovery.''

There had been reports that Hawkins worked out with the NFL's Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles. Hawkins said those reports were unfounded. He added that a number of NFL teams have been in contact with his agent, though.

"There is a lot of interest, but I don't know what I'm going to do,'' said Hawkins, who recorded 31 defensive tackles and three sacks during the regular season and five defensive tackles in the playoffs. "Who knows what the future holds? Right now I'm a Roughrider and it's where I want to be.''

Hawkins has playing experience in the NFL. He spent the 2006 and 2007 seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars before being released in 2008. He was working at an oil refinery in Wood River, Ill., before signing with the Riders in April.

Because Hawkins signed with the Riders before the new collective bargaining agreement kicked in, he's allowed to pursue NFL opportunities in the option year of his contract. The option-window has been closed for players who signed after the new four-year CBA was announced in early July.

Working out and recovering from surgery hasn't kept Hawkins from taking part in some of the community events that have taken place. He was among a number of Roughriders who made the trip to Unity on Saturday for a hockey game. Hawkins can't skate, but helped out as a member of the coaching staff.

"It was great,'' Hawkins said. "I felt like I was part of everyone's family and I figured we should have spent the night because we were having so much fun.''

Hawkins is also enjoying the camaraderie that is part of spending the off-season with teammates.

"When you see those guys, you realize that you miss seeing them at the football office,'' Hawkins said. "I spend more time with them, than I do with my fiancée. That's because it's my job, but they are my brothers.''

Hawkins has followed the changes with the Riders' coaching staff. Hawkins hasn't met Greg Marshall, who was hired Jan. 5 as the new head coach to replace Ken Miller. Miller resigned Dec. 2 to concentrate on his duties as the vice-president of football operations.

"I've heard great things about (Marshall),'' Hawkins said. "He was a great player and I'm always willing to learn. If he has a tip he wants to throw my way, I'm there to listen.''

mmccormick@leaderpost.com

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post


Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/health/Brent+Hawkins+stays+close+Rider+Nation+despite+Regina+record+snowfall/4135347/story.html#ixzz1BdaNiOZ7

No comments: