Tuesday, November 8, 2011

RIDERS WILL HAVE MANY FREE AGENTS



REGINA — The transformation from the regular season to the off-season took place quicker than usual this year for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

For the first time since 2001, the CFL team heads into a long off-season without the benefit of a playoff run. The Riders’ season officially ended with Friday’s 23-20 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos at Commonwealth Stadium. On Sunday, the Riders (5-13) cleaned out their Mosaic Stadium lockers and dealt with questions from the media regarding their individual futures.

The uncertainty for some players is heightened because they have played out their options and eligible to file for free agency on Feb. 15. They face that decision while wondering what will take place in the Riders’ front office.

Ken Miller met with the media on Sunday in his final appearance as the team’s head coach and vice-president of football operations. The Riders are expected to announce this week their plans for pursuing a head coach and the structure of the team’s front office.

“With so many uncertainties in the organization from top to bottom, you know there will be a lot of position changes,” veteran tailback Wes Cates said Sunday. “With position changes at the top, there comes a lot of position changes at the bottom. I’m assuming that I’m pretty low on the priority totem pole right now. I have to be patient, control what I can control, and let the rest handle itself.”

Cates is among approximately 20 members of the 2011 team who are eligible to file for free agency. Cates, 32, finished the season with 138 carries for 680 yards and would like to return to the Riders for a sixth season.

“I’ve enjoyed my time with the Riders and I’ve had a lot of success here,” said Cates, who is the second-leading rusher in Riders history. “To say anything else would be ridiculous. When you’re in a good place and things are going well, you would like to keep things going. I know that it’s a business and you’re lucky to stay with a team for a few years.”

There are a number of key contributors to the 2011 team who have played out their option. The unofficial list includes linebacker Jerrell Freeman, defensive tackle Keith Shologan, centre Marc Parenteau, slotback Andy Fantuz, middle linebacker Barrin Simpson, backup quarterback Ryan Dinwiddie, defensive back Nick Graham and returner/cornerback Tristan Jackson.

“Certainly, there has been ongoing talks with their agents,” Miller said when asked about the status of Fantuz, Freeman and Shologan. “Some have been off and on, but certainly those talks have been taking place.”

Freeman is expected to attract a great deal of interest after leading the CFL with 105 defensive tackles.

He took advantage of the option-year window during the past off-season to try out for the NFL’s Houston Texans. He said Sunday that he’s pondering his options when it comes to free agency.

“There is a lot of talk and thinking about things,” said Freeman, who is the Riders’ nominee for the most outstanding defensive player. “You get torn in situations like this because you appreciate that the organization brought you in. You would like to finish it, but you have to do what’s best for you.”

Fantuz also took advantage of the option-year window and attended training camp with the NFL’s Chicago Bears. He returned midway through the season and dressed for just four games while battling ankle injuries. He’s still expected to draw interest based on being named the CFL’s most outstanding Canadian in 2010.

Shologan has been with the Riders since 2008 and has developed into one of the league’s best defensive tackles. Shologan, 25, isn’t sure what the off-season holds for him.

“I’ve been here for four years and I love the place,” Shologan said. “I love the fans and the city. There isn’t a better place to play, but I love football and I’ll play anywhere.”

Shologan hails from Spruce Grove, Alta. — that has sparked speculation that he may be leaning toward signing with the Eskimos for an opportunity to play closer to home.

“It would be nice to be around my family,”Shologan said. “I like it here and I would love to be back. Until Feb. 14, I’m still a Rider.”

Parenteau has been an offensive lineman with the Roughriders for five of his seven CFL seasons. He started all 18 games at centre this season and makes his off-season home in Regina.

“Free agency comes up every now and again,” Parenteau said. “I would love to stay here and I’ve enjoyed myself here for the last five years. I wouldn’t hesitate to come back.”

Parenteau is concerned about the uncertainty heading into the off-season, but trusts in the Riders to sort things out.

“I believe in the organization and I believe in what the Riders can be,” Parenteau said. “I believe this was an off-year and it was a frustrating year for all of us. I’m here to help it turn around and not jump ship when things go bad.”

Regina Leader-Post

No comments: