Wednesday, February 18, 2009

LLOYD AND MACKENZIE BOLT


REGINA -- Former Saskatchewan Roughriders linebackers Maurice Lloyd and Anton McKenzie spent time Tuesday digesting what took place Monday.
The all-star linebackers were at the front of a CFL free-agent frenzy on the first day that players could officially sign with other teams. Lloyd signed with the Edmonton Eskimos after a bidding war that included the Roughriders and Toronto Argonauts. McKenzie signed with the B.C. Lions.

Lloyd confirmed that he signed a one-year deal with an option with the Eskimos. The first year includes a $100,000 signing bonus, a base salary of $65,000 and another $15,000 in incentives. The Eskimos officially confirmed Lloyd’s signing on Tuesday.

The Eskimos outbid the Argos, who offered a $75,000 signing bonus and $100,000 a season to

the middle linebacker. The Roughriders had submitted a contract of $135,000 for three years. A $100,000 signing bonus the Eskimos paid to a defensive player raised eyebrows across the league.

“When a linebacker can get $100,000 up front … who is going to turn that down?’’ Lloyd said Tuesday from his home in Connecticut. “That’s a no-brainer.’’

McKenzie’s contract was for two years and an option. Financial figures were not released. McKenzie, 28, and his agent had earlier this year rejected a contract offer from the Riders.
“There wasn’t as much (from the Riders) as I expected,’’ said McKenzie. “I felt that they didn’t want to re-sign me, so I moved on. B.C. is where I felt that I fit and they needed some linebackers. I also liked what they brought to the table in terms of compensation.’’

The reactions have been mixed in terms of the linebackers bolting for other teams. Lloyd has heard both positive and negative comments from the Riders’ faithful when the news broke that he joined the Eskimos.

“I haven’t any hard feelings towards the Roughriders, the city or my fans,’’ said Lloyd, who turned 26 on Sunday. “There are some who have said they are mad at me but they don’t understand what a football player goes through. They get to watch us play but we lead this life.
“When they get to be 35, they will be able to walk around the house without any pain or arthritis. I already have arthritis in my fingers and we can only play this game for so long. This is the life that I lead. If they worked on a cash register at McDonald’s and they got a better offer to work at another one a province over, wouldn’t they take it?’’

McKenzie and Lloyd reaped the rewards Monday for all-star 2008 seasons with the Riders. Lloyd had 75 tackles and tied for the team lead with five sacks. McKenzie, a weakside linebacker, had 68 tackles while being named a CFL all-star for the first time.

McKenzie was also involved in the Riders’ offseason community program, especially following the Riders’ 2007 Grey Cup victory.

“I loved playing for Saskatchewan and the first three years of my career were wonderful playing there,’’ said McKenzie. “I had a great opportunity to meet a lot of guys and we won a Grey Cup. The organization is great from the front office right down to the players. I will surely miss them but it all came down to me making a business decision.’’

Lloyd is aware that his new contract brings with it increased expectations.
“When you’re getting paid like I am, you have to show up,’’ said Lloyd, who spent three seasons with the Riders. “That’s the pressure that I face. I do know that the money will not change the way I practise or play on the field.’’

No comments: