Tuesday, March 10, 2009

INTERVIEW WITH SCOTT SCHULTZ


Popular Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive tackle Scott Schultz was on 620 CKRM's Sportsline last night. Here's the interview:


CKRM: How's your winter been Schultzie?SCHULTZ: You know, cold and hot. Hot and cold.CKRM: Where've you been?SCHULTZ: I just got back from a pleasure trip.CKRM: Where to?SCHULTZ: I took my mother-in-law to the airport!CKRM: Maybe you should consider being a stand-up comedian when your career is done....SCHULTZ: I just flew in from Moose Jaw and man are my arms tired!!


CKRM: What do you think of the Multiplex vote in your hometown of Moose Jaw??SCHULTZ: It's great! It'll greatly help out my mayoral candidacy.CKRM: The Riders big free agent signing was offensive lineman Joe McGrath, another Moose Jaw product. But you said you don't know him?SCHULTZ: I've met him and ran into him on the field but when he was coming into high school, I was out and gone to college for a year or two. Our paths never really crossed athletically in Moose Jaw but I just think it's great to have another good guy on the team, and it shows that little Moose Jaw can produce some good players.


CKRM: What have you guys been doing in the off-season?SCHULTZ: For me, I've been doing some speaking on the grapefruit circuit. Still heavily involved in commercial insurance and AG, and TRAINING! We're 13 weeks away from training camp.CKRM: That's the mood regarding the upcoming season?SCHULTZ: It's hopeful. A lot of the guys, with some of the signings like Clermont, a lot of guys have been going in and talking to new defensive coordinator Gary Etcheverry. We're trying to get our heads around a new defensive scheme. I think everyone's excited with the changes.


CKRM: Are you nearing the end of your career?SCHULTZ: I'd say a couple more years. I'm going to be 31 this year but I've been around for quite a few years in the old system but coach Etcheverry only wants old dogs if they can learn new tricks. So we need to be able to be mentally flexible with a coach like Etch.


CKRM: Looking forward to having a healthy John Chick beside you on the defensive line this year?SCHULTZ: Oh yeah. He's helped me and Chunky Adams out. Having him in there makes the other team decide who they have to double-team. With Etcheverry's system and what we're going to do, it's going to be tough on offensive lines to stop us. John's just an animal on his own.


CKRM: Etcheverry was involved last year, but to what extent?SCHULTZ: He helped out big time when Ron Estay had his health issues. But in the beginning it was just quality control, making sure things were humming along. As time went on he implemented a few things and I'll be honest, I was hesitant, but once you get your head around it, it worked out pretty well for us.


CKRM: Richie Hall's moved on. What do you think about that?SCHULTZ: It's tough. Richie was a great coordinator and we had great defenses over the years. But he finally got his chance and there's no ill feelings for him getting that.CKRM: Are you surprised QB Kevin Glenn was released in Winnipeg?SCHULTZ: Nothing surprises me with personnel in this league. It's a small league and GMs out there are trying to tighten up their teams and win a Grey Cup. It's part of the business. He'll land on his feet somewhere.


CKRM: The Bombers are high on QB Stefan Lefors. Has he shown that much?SCHULTZ: Yah. Guys just need to get on tape and market themselves on tape. It's about what you do individually more these days than what you do as a team.CALLER: Who would you rather have on your team: Kevin Glenn or Casey Printers?SCHULTZ: With Printers, there's always that big play possibility. He was an MVP of the league. But I played with Kevin Glenn and he's a steady eddy guy and he's shown that. I'd welcome anyone into the fold as long as they're team oriented and they work hard. I've sacked both of them, I've knocked Printers out of a game before. Glenn smacks of Danny McManus but they both pose problems.


CKRM: How do you feel about Darian Durant?SCHULTZ: Double-D is a great guy. The way he carries himself, his intelligence, he's a leader. He has opinions and a perspective, he wants to lead, and that rubs off on guys.CALLER: How would you feel about a CFL team in North Dakota getting a team since you played at UND?SCHULTZ: I don't know. I have mixed feelings on that. Weston Dressler will tell you, he's from Bismarck, ND that there's people in Minot and Bismarck that don't even know where Regina is or that there's a CFL. It depends. If it's marketed well, then some of the border cities could have a team but you'd be in tough because it's still not the NFL. I don't see them getting behind it.


CKRM (LYNCH): The cockiest people in the CFL are from Calgary and they're talking about going 18-0 this year. How do you feel about that Scott?SCHULTZ: They've got a good team. I don't think anyone goes 18-0, knock on wood. You're going to have injuries and things. Are they beatable? Yes. Can they win games? They've proven it. No one's unbeatable.----


While I've got you here, Matt Dominguez asked me last night to promote his spring football camp. The website is:http://www.mattdfootballcamp.com/Proudly supported by rodpedersen.com!
at 3/10/2009 2 comments

No comments: