Friday, March 13, 2009

More Rider News


As an employee of Investors Group Financial Services in Regina, Mike Abou-Mechrek helps young families plan for their futures.

His own future, however, is up in the air.

Abou-Mechrek, who spent the past two seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, has been a CFL free agent since Feb. 15. The veteran offensive lineman said he has spoken to three teams since then and talks are ongoing with two of them.

"I have some options, but I'm not looking to go and start off new somewhere else," said Abou-Mechrek, a 33-year-old product of Toronto who has played 10 CFL seasons.

"I've been here for a couple of years, feel really comfortable in the community, just the way of life. It's a good place to raise a family. And I've started with Investors Group, so the ball's rolling and things are going very well for me right now.

"Maybe I've got two more years left to play, but I'm not going to sacrifice my family's happiness for me getting a couple years of grinding my body down."
Abou-Mechrek and his wife Kathie have a 21/2-year-old daughter, Myia.

Mike spent the first three seasons of his career with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers before joining the Ottawa Renegades for three seasons. After returning to Winnipeg for two more campaigns, he signed with Saskatchewan in 2007.

"I've had a great career," he said. "I hope it's not over, but I'm not just going to play football just to satisfy some boyhood need. I love the game, it's been great to me, but my first commitment is to my family.

"If a situation comes along that's good for us, I'll take it. But right now the only opportunities that have come are kind of a backup, locker-room kind of guy. I don't really know how to (be a backup). I've always been a starter."

That likely wouldn't be the case in Regina. Asked if the Roughriders have closed the door on his return, Abou-Mechrek replied: "The door's closed, but it's not locked.

"They said something might come up in training camp," he continued. "We'll see how things go. They told me to keep in shape. But we have -- I'm going to say 'we' because I'm a little attached -- a lot of young guys and they've got to play.

"These young guys aren't going to get better by watching me play anymore. Marc Parenteau is probably going to be the starter (at guard) and he's probably my best friend on the team, so I'm excited for him."

That said, Abou-Mechrek isn't ready to throw in the towel just yet.

"The league's been good to me -- I don't feel like they owe me anything -- but I know I can help someone," he said. "I'm better than a lot of guys out there. But if management wants to go in a different direction, there's nothing you can do about that.

"I'm really good and I will be really good, but if they don't want me to be good for them, there's nothing I can do."

No comments: