Saturday, June 26, 2010

DURANT VOTED ONE OF THE CAPTAINS



By ROB VANSTONE, Leader-Post June 25, 2010
REGINA — Darian Durant's peers have spoken.

The 27-year-old quarterback has been named one of the Saskatchewan Roughriders' captains for the 2010 CFL season.

"I got a great vote of confidence when they voted me offensive captain,'' Durant said. "That's a huge honour for me and it's just a tribute to what I've been doing, trying to build my relationship with the guys as a leader.''

Durant is opening the season as the Roughriders' No. 1 quarterback for the second consecutive year. Before the 2009 campaign, head coach Ken Miller asked Durant to be more assertive as a leader, and strides were certainly made in that direction.

"I think I just have to build on what I started relationship-wise with the guys and just continue on from there,'' Durant said.

He also wants to continue to develop as a quarterback following a breakout year in which he was named a West Division all-star. Not only that, he piloted Saskatchewan to first place in the West and a Grey Cup berth.

"With more and more success, confidence comes,'' said Durant, who also started four games in 2008. "I really don't think I've reached close to the amount of success that I'm capable of. I'm just trying to build on that and get better every day and reach a higher level.''

Level of performance is a key factor. Words or gestures have their place, but they have to be backed up by productivity on the field.

"You definitely have to pick and choose when you want to be more vocal and when you have to lead by example,'' Durant said. "I guarantee if I wasn't going out there and playing my butt off every game day, it wouldn't even be possible for me to lead these guys. You have to find the right balance. In order to talk a good game, you have to make sure you're walking the walk, also. I think I'm doing a little bit of both.''

And he is doing it well, according to Miller, but the Riders' field boss expects a continued progression.


"Certainly, there's room for growth in all of us,'' Miller said. "For a quarterback who was a starter just for one season, you would expect continued growth in every aspect.''

No comments: