Wednesday, June 9, 2010

OUT AND ABOUT WITH ABOU-MECHREK



Leader-Post columnist and former Saskatchewan Roughrider Mike Abou-Mechrek
Photograph by: Leader-Post

During my playing career, I really enjoyed my interactions with the media, and I hope the fans enjoyed me, too. I think it was because I rarely read the company line: "We win as a team and lose as a team,'' "We have to take one game at a time," etc., etc.

These quotes could come from anyone at any time in any sport. Professional athletes are in a rare situation where people actually care about what they say, so why not give them something other than blah blah blah? When you are finished playing, no one will ask you how your day went other than your wife (no, ladies, not even your husband).

Every athlete looks at the media and says to himself, "I can do that!" All they have to do is show up after practice, shove a microphone into the face of a half-naked fat man and press "record'' on their tape recorder. I mean, if Rob Vanstone can have such a successful career at it, anyone can do it, right?

Well, here is my chance to prove it -- but be gentle, Regina. I am fragile and I promise to get better.

As the weather heats up on the Prairies, so do the Riders. It is finally football season, which means it's time for everyone to start telling each other why the Riders won't win the Grey Cup this year. But, as you know, since I came to the province in 2007, the football landscape around here has changed, and even though the championship game is in Edmonton this year, the Grey Cup has to come through Saskatchewan.

Here is why I think we will be spending a little more time with Lord Grey's Mug:


Andy Fantuz: As a fellow Western Ontario Mustangs grad, I have followed Andy's career since long before his green jersey wallpapered Taylor Field. Undoubtedly, he is a great athlete who can do whatever he wants out there. Having the privilege to watch Andy work up close, I became intrigued by how he worked. When it's time to work, he gets better on EVERY rep. After every catch, he gently flips the ball to the ref, smoothes out his jersey (because you gotta look good), then struts back to the huddle. What could be more "in your face" to a DB than that?! I am waiting for him to win multiple CFL outstanding Canadian awards -- so many that he will be able to afford to give one to his fellow Mustang.


Joe Sykes: This year we get a chance to see what this animal can do over 20 games. When I saw him in practice last season, I was glad that I was retired. What were those other two guys' names who played defensive end last year?
The offensive line: Saskatchewan for a long time has had the best offensive line in the league, thanks in large part to Gene Makowsky, Jeremy O'Day and Andrew Greene. This year, my good friend Dan Goodspeed joins the mix at tackle. Add the best athlete in the league (Wayne Smith), last year's starters (Marc Parenteau, Belton Johnson and Chris Best) as well as Kelly Bates and ... they're STACKED! I will be visiting with these fat guys a lot through the season so I won't talk too much about them ... yet.


Darian Durant: One of the greatest leaders I ever played with. As an offensive lineman, I don't know about arm strength or accuracy, and I know nothing about anything to do with a football. What I do know about is that "feeling'' you get from the quarterback when you get back to the huddle. Even when Doubles (Durant's nickname) was buried on the depth chart, we knew who was in charge of the huddle. No matter what the score was, good or bad, his "coolness" in the huddle made us know that we had them right where we wanted them. This is exactly what I want in my quarterback.


Tad Kornegay: I don't have the words. Just watch him. In my opinion, he should have won an award last season ... and he's hilarious.
It is an exciting time in Riderville. If you didn't know that before, now you do.
I look forward to your feedback. Contact me at mike.abou-mechrek@investorsgroup.com.Read more:


No comments: