Wednesday, April 8, 2009

WES CATES SPENDS THE OFF SEASON IN SASKATCHEWAN


REGINA -- Wes Cates experienced just about everything winter has to offer during his first CFL offseason in Saskatchewan.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders import running back drove through a Saskatchewan snowstorm in early December en route to some community events in the Maple Creek area. He has survived the sub-zero windchills which are part of spending the winter in Saskatchewan.

On the weekend, he tried curling for the first time during a fundraiser at the Highland Curling Club.
“I’m a master curler,’’ the personable Cates said Tuesday with a laugh. “On my very first shot I hit the button. I tripped a little bit on my slide but the rock landed right on the button. My next shot went way off the ice but I think I’ve found my second love. I might be good enough to get on Team Saskatchewan down the road.’’

Many of the Riders are busy during the offseason making appearances on behalf of the team. Cates isn’t any different and it sounds like he enjoyed himself.
“I’m trying to see what this Saskatchewan lifestyle and bleeding green is all about,’’ said Cates, who was the Riders’ nominee for the CFL’s most outstanding player in 2008. “I’m learning about being a Saskatchewanian on a more in-depth, up-close and personal way.’’

Cates was a CFL all-star in 2008 after rushing for 1,229 yards and scoring 16 touchdowns. He had decided to spend the winter in Saskatchewan to see what the community had to offer and to give something back to the Riders’ loyal supporters.

He talked to Kelly Forsberg, the Riders’ community relations and events co-ordinator, who proceeded to set up appearances across the province.
“It was a good time,’’ said Cates, who has emerged as a fan favourite in his two seasons with the Riders. “You get to these rural areas and they are just as big Rider fans as those from the city, if not more. It was great to share some of my life experiences with them and they could share with me about how they live.’’

The meetings with fans haven’t been limited to staged events. Cates has also been recognized and approached in such mundane places as a local grocery store.
“It’s not that big of a deal because it’s cool when people recognize me,’’ said Cates. “I haven’t had any situations where I might feel uncomfortable. It can be a bit of an inconvenience but I enjoy the fact that what I do makes people appreciate me to the point where they want to meet me.’’

Cates, a native of Columbus, Ohio, has also had a chance to stay on top of the Riders’ offseason moves. Even if he can’t, the fans are willing to help him out.
“A lot of time when I’m on the road, people ask me about this more (than anything else) or what do I think about that,’’ Cates said. “If I wasn’t on the website from time to time, I would know less than the fans. Our office does a good job of getting that information out but there are times when I honestly don’t know more about what’s going on than the next person.’’

Cates hears many questions but is asked the most about the changes the Riders have undergone this offseason. The squad lost all-star linebackers Maurice Lloyd and Anton McKenzie to free agency but acquired slotback Jason Clermont, offensive tackle Joe McGrath and others through free-agent signings and trades.

“We lost some great players and we gained some great ones,’’ said Cates. “It’s a matter of cohesion and we’ll have to see how everyone comes together. I’m like everybody else because I’ve seen what’s happened and I wonder how it’s all going to work out.’’

No comments: