Saturday, April 4, 2009

Rempel returning home to Saskatchewan to play for Roughriders


Jordan Rempel played for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.
Photograph by: Greg Pender, StarPhoenix files
REGINA -- Jordan Rempel was set to settle down in Hamilton.

Rempel and his wife, Megan, purchased a townhouse last year and were looking forward to a long CFL career with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Those plans underwent a dramatic change on Wednesday when Rempel was traded to the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The Tiger-Cats acquired import offensive lineman Dan Goodspeed and Saskatchewan’s fifth-round pick (38th overall) in the 2009 CFL draft. The Riders also received Hamilton’s second-round selection (ninth overall) in the 2009 draft.
“Now we have a place to sell,’’ Rempel said with a chuckle Wednesday from Hamilton. “Still, it’s great and I’m really excited about it.’’

Rempel, 23, knows all about Saskatchewan. He grew up on a farm south of Moosomin and attended high school in Caronport. He played three seasons for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies before being selected by Hamilton in the second round (22nd overall) of the 2007 CFL draft.
“It’s nice that I’m headed to Saskatchewan because I know it so well,’’ said Rempel, a 6-foot-6, 322-pound offensive lineman. “I don’t want to take anything away from Hamilton. I had great coaches and I learned so much. We planned on hanging around here and playing for a while.’’
Rempel laughed when asked about being from Saskatchewan and having an opportunity to play with the Riders.
“No pressure at all,’’ said Rempel, who played guard with the Tiger-Cats after being a CIS all-star tackle with the Huskies. “Here, I didn’t know anyone and I just played football. I grew up in Saskatchewan and I know that everyone watches the Riders. I just have to stay focused and remind myself of what I have to do.’’

Rempel becomes the ninth Saskatchewan-born player on the Riders’ current roster. He joins slotback Jason Clermont, receiver Chris Getzlaf, running backs Neal Hughes and Stu Foord, offensive linemen Gene Makowsky and Joe McGrath and defensive linemen Scott Schultz and Mike Stadnyk.
“There is a lot of talent in Canada and Saskatchewan as far as football,’’ said Rempel. “It makes the team that much better because people can say that, ‘I went to high school with that guy.’ It definitely brings out more of a connection with the fans.’’
Riders head coach Ken Miller suggested that Rempel is the type of player who could be a member of the Roughriders for a long time.
“I love to hear that because I would like to stay in one place for a while,’’ said Rempel, whose wife is from Frontier. “Saskatchewan is my home and when you grow up there, you know the roads and everything else. It’s familiar and it’s good to be around familiar people.
“It’s still going to take some time getting used to being a Rider. There will be some perks with being home but my main goal is to earn a spot and prove that I belong.’’
mmccormick@leaderpost.canwest.com

No comments: