Wednesday, June 17, 2009

BAGG CONTINUES TO IMPRESS


REGINA — Rob Bagg has enjoyed a steady progression during his three training camps with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

He so impressive as a wide receiver in 2007 that the CFL team was set to add the undrafted free agent to the roster. Bagg turned down the invitation to return to Queen's University for a fifth season of CIS football.

He returned to the Riders' camp in 2008 and made the squad as a rookie. Injuries cleared the way for him to be a starter and Bagg dressed for 16 games and recorded 22 receptions for 371 yards.

In 2009, Bagg has been among the best wide receivers at camp. He has produced highlight-reel receptions and appears to be on the road to being one of the team's starting wide receivers when the regular season opens July 3 at Mosaic Stadium against the B.C. Lions.

"You hope to keep progressing because I don't want to go back to school again,'' Bagg said Monday with a chuckle after the ninth day of training camp was completed at Mosaic Stadium. "I'm just having a ball. All of the guys are great and it has been more enjoyable. I'm just not stressed out.''

That calmness turns up on the field. Bagg regularly pulls off a head-shaking reception each practice.

"You're just a better athlete when you're not thinking about what's your route and other things,'' said Bagg.
Bagg has caught the attention of the Riders' coaching staff. Head coach Ken Miller wondered during his daily scrum if any members of the media had requested time with Bagg.

"He has become a media darling because he has really performed well,'' said Miller. "He made some great catches in Saskatoon (on Saturday) and some (Monday). He has been consistent throughout camp.''

Consistency is what the Riders are looking for in Bagg, a 24-year-old native of Kingston, Ont. They have also been impressed with him since 2007.
"Rob was somebody we really liked in the draft a few years ago and we were happy to get him,'' said Paul LaPolice, the Riders' offensive co-ordinator. "He showed us his skill the day he stepped on the field. Now, he has a comfort level with everything we do and I'm sure that helps.''

Bagg understands that consistency is best way for him to become an impact receiver with the Riders.

"(LaPolice) told me not to be a flash in the pan,'' said Bagg. "I try to catch everything that comes my way. It's tough (as the wide-side receiver) because you don't get a lot of balls thrown your way. You try to make a play and do that.''

Bagg worked hard during the offseason in preparation for his second season with the Riders. He increased his stride through track work and also boasts linebacker-sized arms.

"I invested a lot into my off-season training,'' said Bagg, "This is a passion for me and I'm hoping that I'm here for a couple of years.''

Bagg can do that with his consistent play. He may also have helped himself because he has been serving as the holder for placekicker Luca Congi. Bagg filled that role in 2008 when slotback Andy Fantuz was sidelined for 11 games with a broken leg.

"I don't feel it's a ton of pressure considering the way these guys kick,'' said Bagg. "I just have to get it down, tee it up and let them kick.''

Bagg is still looking for his first regular-season touchdown. He scored one during the 2008 pre-season when the Riders beat the B.C. Lions 33-13, but wasn't able score a regular-season major despite a couple of close calls.

"I got a taste of it during the exhibition season and I was close last year,'' said Bagg. "I hope to erase that pretty quickly. I know if I keep working hard, the quarterbacks will eventually give me a ball that will lead to a touchdown.''

No comments: