Wednesday, June 17, 2009

FANTUZ WORKING HARD


REGINA — Saskatchewan Roughriders slotback Andy Fantuz is still looking for his first 1,000-yard season in the CFL.

He couldn't care less if he finds it.
"I'm not worried about numbers," Fantuz said after a training-camp workout at Mosaic Stadium. "It doesn't matter to me if I get one yard or 10,000 yards. It's the ring that I'm worried about and the Grey Cup."

Fantuz, 25, was Saskatchewan's first-round pick (third overall) in the 2006 CFL draft and immediately was touted as a future star. After limited action in '06, the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder lived up to expectations in '07 with 56 catches for 978 yards and seven touchdowns.

He wasn't able to improve on those numbers last season, though, due to a broken leg suffered in the fifth game of the regular season. After missing 11 games, Fantuz returned for the Roughriders' final two regular-season contests; he finished the campaign with 36 receptions for 488 yards and three majors.

So is 2009 a bounceback year?

"I thought I had a decent year when I was playing," Fantuz replied. "It's tough to miss 11 games, so I'm just hoping to stay healthy and contribute in every single game."
That's precisely what the Roughriders are expecting. Offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice said he believes Fantuz "has the potential to be one of the best receivers in the CFL" and he, like Fantuz, has put last season in the past.

Instead, player and coach are looking ahead — and looking forward to seeing improvement.

"Talking to him the other day, he said, 'My camp could be better. I'm really working,' " LaPolice said. "That's a positive. A lot of veterans come in and say, 'Aww, it's camp.' With him, it's, 'There are a lot of things I have to improve on and I'm going to get better.' "
For LaPolice, the one thing he wants to see Fantuz do better is simply running by opposing players.

"At times, I think he tries to make a move on the defender when he should just trust his speed," LaPolice said. "Even though he's a big guy, with his waggle (as he approaches the line of scrimmage) and how he runs, he's faster than the DBs think.

"There are times he's just got to climb on a defender and then put his foot on the ground and run by him."

Fantuz doesn't have any concerns about the leg he broke last season, so that should ease his mind as he tries to make the adjustment LaPolice wants to see. And when he's not running by defenders, Fantuz also may benefit from the play of the other members of the Roughriders' receiving corps.

Opposing teams have to be wary of slotbacks Jason Clermont and Weston Dressler, while wideouts like Rob Bagg and Chris Jones have sparkled during training camp.

"We've got a lot of talent at the receiver spots, we're going to space the field well and it's going to be tough for defences to key on anybody," Fantuz said. "We've got a lot of


playmakers who are proven and a lot of young guys who are having great camps. It's going to be really exciting to see."

While Roughriders fans will be excited to see Fantuz crack the magical 1,000-yard barrier, his goal entering the season is simple — and team-oriented.

"To win," said Fantuz, who's entering the option year of his contract. "I just want to help the team win and do whatever I can by playing the best football of my life. I've been training hard and I'm going down the right path for that.

"I'm going to be fully prepared and then it's just going to be about having fun on the field and having fun in the community with all the Rider fans."

No comments: