Monday, June 8, 2009

CLERMONT'S FIRST DAY AS A RIDER


Jason Clermont made his debut with the Green and White on Sunday as the Roughriders opened the 2009 training camp.

Photograph by: Troy Fleece, Leader-Post

Jason Clermont isn't getting caught up in the hype surrounding his first official appearance at Mosaic Stadium as a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
The Regina-born slotback, who signed with the Riders after being released by the B.C. Lions, is simply trying to settle in with his new team.

"I'm not thinking about any of that stuff,'' Clermont said Sunday after the opening day of main camp at Mosaic Stadium. "I'm just going to bring my hard hat and go to work. (Riders receiver) Adam Nicholson asked me what it was like playing on the old turf from my high school days ... it's not even the same turf.''

Clermont spent seven seasons with the Lions, who picked him in the first round (fourth overall) in the 2002 CFL draft. In 2002, he was named the league's rookie-of-the-year and was twice selected the CFL's most outstanding Canadian. He shared in the 2006 Grey Cup championship with the Lions and was also named the game's most outstanding Canadian.

Clermont, 30, was released by the Lions on Dec. 2 and quickly garnered interest from his home-town team. The sides came together on Dec. 12 and after a long wait, Clermont made his first on-field appearance with the Roughriders on Sunday. It was hardly a spectacular debut, at least according to Clermont.

"(Defensive back Lance Frazier) was eating my lunch (Sunday) morning,'' said Clermont, who was a standout athlete at Robert Usher Collegiate before enjoying a stellar career with the University of Regina Rams. "He was jumping on everything that I was doing. I would have cut myself in the morning but I was happier with the second practice.''

Ken Miller, the Riders head coach, seemed satisfied with Clermont's first day as a member of the Green and White.
"He's really cool, calm and collected,'' said Miller. "He demonstrates leadership and when he had an opportunity to catch, he caught. We were very pleased with him.''
Miller added that he would like Clermont to be more demonstrative on the field.

"He's a little quiet and we have to draw that out of him,'' said Miller. "He will be a great role model.''

Clermont didn't experience any different feelings when he put on a Riders' jersey for the first time.

"No matter what team you go to, the offence always wears a white jersey,'' said Clermont. "I can't think about those things because I'm learning the playbook. I'm trying to get some chemistry going with the receivers, the quarterbacks and to get my legs underneath me for training camp. I can't be thinking about it being weird. I'm here to help my team, get ready and hopefully make the roster.''

That will be a formality for Clermont, who joins a talented group of slotbacks and is being counted on to help lead the crew.

He also adds to the number of Saskatchewan-born players on the Riders' roster. There are 12 on the roster -- including Regina products Clermont, Tamon George, Nick Hutchins, Joel Lipinski, Neal Hughes, Stu Foord, Chris Getzlaf and Michael Stadnyk.

"The more Saskatchewan guys, the better,'' said veteran guard Gene Makowsky, a native of Saskatoon. "I know that those guys are going to play hard. Clermont is the epitome of a typical Saskatchewan guy. He's humble, he plays hard and kicks butt. It's great to have him here.''

The Riders main camp continues today at Mosaic Stadium.

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

No comments: