Wednesday, August 5, 2009

CATES KICKING BACK INTO GEAR


Riders running back Wes Cates
Photograph by: Bryan Schlosser, Leader-Post files

REGINA — It might be premature to declare that the Saskatchewan Roughriders have resurrected their once-vaunted ground game, but tailback Wes Cates is certainly showing signs of life.

"Unless you're scoring on every play, I don't know if it's ever right where you want it to be," Cates noted following Wednesday's practice at Mosaic Stadium. "I think we've still got some work to do. People forget we've been moving guys in and out of the offensive line all season. With that comes a little bit of a learning curve. But we're getting it together and as the season goes on you'll see better and better performances from us."

Cates raised the bar on Saturday with a breakout performance in Saskatchewan's 24-23 win over the Calgary Stampeders. Aided by the return of veteran guard Gene Makowsky, Cates rushed 16 times for 98 yards, falling just short of the team's first 100-yard game this season.
Cates' output surpassed his season total from the previous two outings — both losses — during which he combined for 65 yards on 17 carries. The all-star tailback missed the first two games of the regular season due to off-season shoulder surgery.

When he returned, it was tough to hit the ground running.
"It's definitely easier said than done," said Cates, who was limited to non-contact drills in training camp. "Obviously I didn't get off to that great of a start my first two games but the start is behind me right now. I'm just trying to kick it into gear and finish strong."

So far, his body seems to be co-operating.

"Every week I'm getting stronger, getting back into the groove of things," continued Cates. "Based on the fact I wasn't really getting a chance to do much upper-body (work) during the off- season because of the shoulder, I got a chance to focus on my legs so my legs are feeling pretty good right now. I know I'm a little behind but it's almost a blessing in disguise because it's helping me focus on keeping my body right and get stronger as the weeks go on."

The Riders are hoping to see the trend continue on Friday against the host B.C. Lions, who've had their share of trouble stopping the run this season (a league-worst 150 yards per game). Saskatchewan's ground attack is ranked second-last in the CFL with an average of 93 yards per outing.

"I don't know that we have a great advantage but certainly Wes played well (against Calgary) and I expect him to play well again," said Riders head coach Ken Miller. "He played with great energy and great purpose and intensity. I would say if we can hold that level with him, that's about what we need."
Cates was a workhorse last season, leading the CFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,680 in 15 games (1,229 on the ground, 451 through the air) while finishing second in the league with 14 touchdowns. He also became the focal point of the Riders' offence due in part to a rash of injuries in the receiving corps.

"Hopefully we don't have to go back to the way it was last year when everybody was getting hurt and I was one of our only (proven) guys," Cates added. "But definitely (he wants) to be one of the mainstays and focal points because that opens up a lot of options for the other guys."

No comments: