Thursday, October 22, 2009

BERQUIST TAKING IT ONE PRACTICE SNAP AT A TIME

By Ian Hamilton, Leader-PostOctober 21, 2009

REGINA — During the team’s practices, Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterbacks wear red jerseys.
To rookie Cole Bergquist, that seems to be a fitting colour.

“It’s basically like I’m a redshirt freshman again in college,” the 23-year-old product of San Clemente, Calif., said Wednesday when asked what it’s been like to spend virtually the entire CFL season watching and waiting his turn.

“I’m just trying to do my best and pay attention in meetings as much as I can so that I can have an upper hand if I get back here next year.”

Bergquist, a product of the University of Montana Grizzlies, was put on the Roughriders’ practice roster on July 6 after a stint with the NFL’s San Diego Chargers.

In the ensuing months, he and fellow rookie Graham Harrell (who arrived July 20) have been learning the ropes as the fourth and fifth quarterbacks on the Roughriders’ roster. Neither has dressed for a game.
“It started off that I had to learn the Canadian game as opposed to the NFL or NCAA game — and that was a big step,” Bergquist said. “After that, I learned the offence and now that I’ve got the offence down, I have to take it from knowing it and being able to draw it on the board to have it being second nature. That’s when you become a good quarterback.”

The trouble is, the Roughriders have been trying to prepare themselves for games and for a run at the Grey Cup. Because of that, quarterbacks coach Jamie Barresi hasn’t had a lot of chances to work extensively with Bergquist.

“Like Graham, the biggest thing that (Bergquist) will need is some game-time, behind-the-centre experience and I can’t see that happening right now with the way things are,” Barresi said. “We’re in the playoffs now. It’s going to have to be a lot of off-season stuff.”

Does the coach sympathize with the player in a situation like that?

“This is a professional business, so the cold-hearted answer would be no, I don’t sympathize with him,” Barresi replied. “But at the same time, I was a backup quarterback myself so I know what he’s going through.
“I walk by him and sometimes I don’t have anything to say, so I feel badly about it. Other times, I give him some information and I feel better. But he understands the business. We’re trying to win these games and right now he’s got to do the best he can to help us.”

That’s fine by Bergquist. He and the other quarterbacks run the scout team offences, giving the Roughriders’ starting defence a look at the offence of their next opponent. Right now, that’s how he’s making the best of his season.

“Sometimes it’s hard, especially being on the practice squad,” Bergquist said. “But I’m willing to pay my dues if it pays off at the end and that’s what I’m hoping right now.”

ihamilton@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

No comments: