Thursday, October 22, 2009

CHRIS JONES MAY PLAY

By Murray Mccormick,

Saskatchewan Roughriders wide receiver Chris Jones is ready for another chance.
Jones was granted an opportunity earlier in the CFL season when he was named a starting wide receiver after the Riders' training camp. Jones started one game and dressed for two others before being demoted to the practice roster in Week 5.

"I'm not quite sure why I wasn't playing," said Jones, who spent time with the first-team offence during Wednesday's practice at Mosaic Stadium. "I just felt that I was getting used to playing and I was getting better and better. But you know how the game goes, sometimes you're replaced and you have to be ready when your time comes."

That opportunity could take place Saturday when the Riders play host to the B.C. Lions (3:30 p.m.) at Mosaic Stadium. Gerran Walker, who has dressed for 11 games at wide receiver and started seven, is doubtful for Saturday's game with a sprained left ankle. If Walker doesn't play, Jones could get the nod as a starting wide receiver.

"It's not written in stone, so I will have to see what happens Saturday," said Jones. "It's part of being a professional so I have to be ready for whatever happens."

The Riders have been high on Jones since the native of Macon, Miss., joined the team in 2008. He was good enough to earn the start out of training but managed just 22 yards on four receptions in three games. In Week 4, Walker was promoted to the active roster. Jones was on the 46-man roster but has since been relegated to the practice roster.

"I've felt all along that Chris has some unique capabilities as a receiver and we didn't get that out of him early," said Riders head coach Ken Miller. "We had Gerran going and he has been pretty special. We feel that Chris has a lot of ability."

Being on the practice roster has been frustrating for Jones. He works out with the team leading up to the games then watches what takes place on the weekend from the sidelines.
"It's emotionally draining," said Jones. "You're almost scared to call home and tell your parents that you'll be playing. I knew that this could happen when I signed up for it and I understand that it's part of the business."
Jones could have some big shoes to fill if Walker doesn't play. Walker, who started slowly, has 34 receptions for 390 yards and two touchdowns.

"It has been a long time since I played so I'm just looking forward to having a chance," said Jones. "I just want to be there and do my job."

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

No comments: