Sunday, September 26, 2010

BARIN SIMPSON HAD TOUGHEST WEEK OF HIS LIFE



By MURRAY McCORMICK, Leader-Post September 26, 2010

HAMILTON — Barrin Simpson had a difficult time celebrating Saturday's 32-25 victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders' middle linebacker was pleased with the win, in which he recorded seven defensive tackles. Simpson accomplished that while still dealing with the emotional pain of an uncle's death Tuesday. Ray Hill was 52 when he died after a massive heart attack in Texas.

"It was a tough week,'' a subdued Simpson said. "I didn't get any sleep over the last three days because I was sick over it. Because of that, I felt that I didn't play as well as I needed to. The key point is we got the win.''

Simpson, a 10-year CFL veteran in his first season with the Riders, felt it was the toughest week of his career.

"I was thinking about family and not being there for them,'' Simpson said. "It was big surprise that he passed, but emotionally it's very tough when you lose a family member. Everyone took it pretty hard.''

Simpson said his uncle's death reminded him of his mother's death in 2002. Barbara Simpson died at 52 after a battle with cancer.

"It brought some of those emotions back,'' Simpson said. "I had to deal with that too.''

Simpson was to return to his home in Texas on Sunday to visit with his family. Simpson said he would be back with team in time for Tuesday's practice.
"I tried not to let it affect me because I still have to do my job,'' Simpson said. "I do thank God for helping me to get through the week.''

No comments: