Monday, September 6, 2010

SIMPSON HAS BEST GAME YET



Saskatchewan Roughriders Barrin Simpson (right) helps bring down Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Buck Pierce (4) during CFL action in Regina in Sept. 5, 2010.
Photograph by: Troy Fleece, Leader-Post

REGINA — Barrin Simpson left his mark on the Labour Day Classic and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The veteran middle linebacker accomplished that with his best defensive performance since joining the Saskatchewan Roughriders during the off-season. The fact Simpson had nine defensive tackles and a fumble recovery in Sunday's 27-23 CFL victory was more significant because it came against the Blue Bombers. Simpson had spent four seasons with the Blue Bombers before electing not to return during the off-season.

"I prepare the same every week but the Labour Day Classic and playing my former team was more emotional than any other game,'' Simpson said after the Riders' sixth straight win over the Blue Bombers in the Labour Day Classic. "I'm always excited to play the game but I have to admit I was more excited to play my old team in this one.''

Simpson's enthusiasm was evident before the game when he got into a spirited exchange with veteran Winnipeg offensive lineman Ibrahim Khan after the teams were introduced. It took just three defensive plays for Simpson to record his first statistic when he held running back Fred Reid to no gain on a second-and-one on Winnipeg's 54. The Blue Bombers were forced to punt and the tone had been set for what would turn out to be a defensive contest.

Early in the third quarter, Simpson recovered a fumble by quarterback Buck Pierce on Winnipeg's 33.

Six plays later, running back Wes Cates scored on a one-yard run to give the Riders an 18-10 lead with Luca Congi's convert. Those were the type of plays that Simpson seemed to make throughout the contest.

"I thought he played very well,'' said Ken Miller, head coach of the Riders. "I know that he was especially geared up to play well. He was energetic and enthusiastic as we went through the week, and he was in the locker room (Sunday) as well.''

Simpson had something to prove against the Blue Bombers. He endured a trying 2009 season, to say the least, under former head coach Mike Kelly. The relationship soured to such a point that Simpson was benched for five games, including the 2009 Labour Day Classic.

Simpson dressed for 13 games in 2009. He finished the season 84 defensive tackles, three special-teams tackles, two sacks and an interception. Even though Kelly was fired after the season, Simpson elected not to return. He signed with the Riders as a free agent in April.
"I knew in the off-season this would be a great game,'' said Simpson, who spent five seasons with the B.C. Lions before joining Winnipeg in 2006. "I don't blame the players for what happened. It was just one of those games where I was excited to play.''

Simpson is now looking forward to playing in Winnipeg in Sunday's rematch.

"I blogged Sunday morning that I was looking forward to being on the winning side at the Labour Day Classic,'' Simpson said. "We never won any year that I played with the Blue Bombers so I wanted us to keep the streak alive so I would could be on the winning side. I want to go into Winnipeg and get the win. I know it will be in their house and it will be tough, though.''

No comments: