Thursday, September 2, 2010

LIFE BORING FOR KORNEGAY



Saskatchewan Roughriders' defensive back Tad Kornegay (left) and Saskatchewan Roughriders' defensive back Lance Frazier celebrate in this file photo.
Photograph by: Troy Fleece, Regina Leader-Post
REGINA — Tad Kornegay misses the action.
The 2009 West Division all-star linebacker has started the last three CFL games at wide-side cornerback for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Kornegay, who is expected to start at the same position when the Riders play host to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Sunday, was switched to cornerback after injuries sidelined Donovan Alexander and Leron Mitchell.
“It’s kind of boring over there,’’ Kornegay said with a laugh after Thursday’s practice at Mosaic Stadium. “I feel like I’m in the stands watching the action at times. I’m just happy to help out wherever I can and make the game easier for my teammates.’’
That means Kornegay has had an opportunity to appreciate how Daniel Francis is filling in for him at weakside linebacker. Francis, a converted safety, made his first start at linebacker against the Montreal Alouettes on Aug. 6. Montreal won 30-26 but prevailed after being held to one first down and four points in the second half.
The Riders beat the B.C. Lions 37-13 on Aug. 12 and Saturday were edged 17-14 by the Edmonton Eskimos. The defence has been stout, despite Saskatchewan’s 1-2 record in its last three games en route to a 5-3-0 mark. Francis did his part. He has 15 defensive tackles and two special teams tackles over those three games.
“He has done an amazing job replacing who I feel was our most valuable player on defence,’’ said Gary Etcheverry, the Riders’ defensive co-ordinator.
Francis was a backup safety in 2009, his first season with the Riders. The Roughriders lean toward using converted defensive backs to fill the weakside linebacker spot because of the coverage responsibilities. Kornegay and Francis are similar in that they are both defensive backs. There are differences, though.
“Francis is a definitely a hitter,’’ Kornegay said. “I’m more of a cover guy.’’
That could be due to their respective roots. Kornegay’s natural position is cornerback, where coverage skills are stressed. Francis has been a safety, a position that traditionally attracts big hitters.
“I’ve always told myself that I hit like a linebacker,’’ said Francis, who is five-foot-11 and 193 pounds. “I may be 193 pounds but I hit like I’m 230. Still, I never considered myself a linebacker until this year. I was always a DB.’’
Kornegay has worked with Francis on enhancing his linebacker skills.
“He’s always looking for a little more knowledge,’’ Kornegay said. “Anything I can bring to the table, I will. We have a good relationship and we’re willing to share things.’’
The training has paid off so well that the Riders will continue to play Kornegay at corner and Francis at linebacker even though Alexander (hamstring) and Mitchell (knee) appear ready to return. Alexander started the season at cornerback but was sidelined with a hamstring injury. Mitchell started against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on July 31 before suffering a knee injury.
Riders head coach Ken Miller said the performances of Kornegay and Francis have kept Alexander from returning as a starter.
“It gives us our strongest lineup and keeps us consistent and we strive for that,’’ Miller said. “Communication and developing a relationship with people that you play with is a big part of being successful. We want to have as few deviations from that as possible.’’
Kornegay feels he’ll man the corner for a while.
“Daniel Francis is doing a great job and as long he does that, you should see me on the corner,’’ Kornegay said.

No comments: