Thursday, November 26, 2009

ARMSTEAD'S BIGGEST RETURN


By Ian Hamilton, Leader-PostNovember 25, 2009
CALGARY — Jason Armstead's most impressive return of the 2009 CFL season isn't the 75-yarder he had in Sunday's West Division final.

It's the one off the CFL scrap heap.

Armstead joined the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sept. 1, six months after he was released by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and two months after the '09 regular season had started.
The 30-year-old product of Moss Point, Miss., wasn't doing anything until Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman — addressing his team's glaring weakness in the return game — signed Armstead in a move that let him resurrect his career.

"I never questioned whether I was done," Armstead said Wednesday at McMahon Stadium, where the Roughriders are to play the Montreal Alouettes in Sunday's Grey Cup game. "I was still preparing to play and I had worked really hard during the off-season.

"It's always about faith when you're dealing with life and different situations. I kind of dug a hole for myself in the circumstances I went through, but for the most part I've never given up on playing this game."

Armstead was released by the Bombers in March following a domestic violence incident with his girlfriend. He previously stated he faced a charge of simple verbal assault; it's believed the matter was settled with a fine of $300.
From then until September, though, Armstead was a man without a team.

"It was one of those situations where a couple of days I thought, 'Maybe I'm done,' " he said, "but just on faith alone, I knew I would have a job — not knowing it would be here."

This is Armstead's second go-round with the Roughriders; his first began in 2006, after he was selected in the dispersal draft of the Ottawa Renegades.

His stay in Saskatchewan ended in 2007, however, in the wake of a mid-season meeting with Tillman that was initiated by Armstead and his stepfather, Fred Rasheed.

Armstead said Wednesday there was some "miscommunication" during the meeting. He claimed he was trying to bring a contractual situation to the forefront and wasn't demanding a trade. Tillman and ex-Roughriders head coach Kent Austin previously said Armstead stated he would be better served elsewhere as a team's featured receiver.
After eight games that season, the Roughriders dealt Armstead to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for slotback Chris Getzlaf and receiver-returner Corey Holmes. Armstead spent the remainder of that season in Hamilton and, in 2008, had stints in Montreal and Winnipeg.

"I look back on some things and I could have been a better team player," he admitted Wednesday. "Even that situation with the contract, I could have dealt with that after the season."
At the start of the '09 campaign, the Roughriders' return game was lacking. Tillman contacted Armstead, the duo cleared the air about '07 and the GM gave the returner the chance he sought.

"It was a great hunch that had a lot of research behind it," said Joe Womack, the Roughriders' director of player personnel. "It has just been a beautiful thing for us."

"I had to go through a lot and I had to give up a lot, which I was willing to do," Armstead added. "I just asked the Lord for another push, another chance at doing things the right way all of the time."

In 10 regular-season games with Saskatchewan, Armstead returned 42 punts for 387 yards and 33 kickoffs for 806 yards. In Sunday's 27-17 victory over the Calgary Stampeders in the West final, his long return to start the second half set up a touchdown that snapped a 10-10 tie. He also threw a 42-yard pass to Rob Bagg on Saskatchewan's next possession to set up another major.

Asked earlier this season if he was proud of his accomplishments this time around, Armstead grinned and noted he had yet to return a kick for a touchdown. While that's still on the agenda, he now says he's happy with where he's at.
"The biggest thing is now," he said. "We've reached the Grey Cup, which is something I've never done since being in Canada. Right now, this is one of the best feelings that I've ever had playing the game of football."

No comments: