Friday, November 27, 2009

MIKE ABOU-MECHREK

Last night was the CFLPA player awards and I feel that everyone that should have won, did win. I am so happy for John Chick and his wife Katherine. John works as hard as anyone preparing for the season and for each game. He as complete a defensive lineman that there could be. He is stout against the run, has just about every pass rush move in his arsenal and his motor NEVER stops. As an offensive lineman this is a recipe for disaster.

Most d-lineman have one or two signature pass rush moves that you can sit on and wait for. Guys are usually power guys or speed guys. With power guys their moves come off the bull rush so when you are setting them you need to be low and ready to deal with the BULL. With speed guys you can sit a little higher in your set and play the rusher like a basketball player going to the hoop. The problem that John offers is that if you set him high he will pick you up and deposit you on your name plate; and if you sit on the bull rush he embarrasses you by running past you…pick your poison.

After the awards ceremony a bunch of the Riders came by Riderville to say hello, sign a few autographs and hear a few drunken stories from the Riderville fans. From hear we went to Flames Central where the CFLPA held their annual party for current and former players. Most of the Riders…I mean, all of the Riders, made it back to the hotel for their 11pm curfew and I followed them shortly after.

It appeared as though if I stayed I would have some juicy stories to tell you here today about your favorite CFL stars of yesterday and today but a long day of traveling added to my 8 week old son bias to sleeping at night I decided to catch up on some zzz’s so I could be at my best while I MC the Riderville luncheon today.

In return I promise to take a nap this afternoon so I will be able to stay up late tonight and dig up some dirt that will make a good blog entry for tomorrow. In the unlikely event that nothing juicy happens tonight I will make something up.... i think i might have seen ex rider Vic Stevenson hussling his new aerobics video in the lobby when i got in last night...

No comments: