Monday, May 3, 2010

RIDERS LAND JORDAN SISCO WITH #8 PICK



Jordan Sisco
Photograph by: Troy Fleece, Leader-Post files

REGINA — The football future looks bright for prospect Jordan Sisco.

The University of Regina Rams receiver could be playing in the NFL or the CFL after developments over the weekend. Sisco started the weekend by taking part in a mini-camp with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. Shortly after completing that camp, the Regina product learned that he had been selected in the second round of the CFL draft by his hometown Saskatchewan Roughriders.

"I didn't even think about the draft once during practice today,'' Sisco said Sunday from Indianapolis. "As soon as it ended, I realized that the CFL draft started in five minutes and that my name could be called at any time. Going from not knowing if I was going to play pro football to having on opportunity to play on two teams is pretty exciting.''

The Riders landed Sisco with the eighth overall pick. The selection of Sisco and that of linebacker Shomari Williams from Queen's University with the first overall pick left the Riders feeling pretty good about their two top picks in the draft.

"Getting Jordan was a real feather in our cap,'' said Riders general manager Brendan Taman.
The Roughriders were so pleased with the acquisition of Sisco that they are willing to wait and see what takes place with the Colts. Sisco wasn't sure what takes place next but thought he might be invited to another mini-camp on May 16. He also thought that he could be invited to the Colts' main training camp in the summer.

"We'll have to see what happens after my agents talk to them,'' said Sisco. "If the Colts invite me back I will be here until I hear otherwise. I won't be disappointed wherever I go. It wouldn't be a bad thing going home to play football if things don't work out here.''
It sounds like the mini-camp was an eye-opener for Sisco.

"There is a lot of terminology and the playbook is just crazy,'' said Sisco. "You think of (Colts quarterback) Peyton Manning, who is a genius, along with (senior offensive assistant) Tom Moore putting together a playbook . . . Just learning it and doing the plays was a lot of hard work. The coaches helped me out. They told me when I was doing something right and when I was doing something wrong. I learned a lot and it was good.''

Sisco was also impressed with Manning.

"He came out, introduced himself and shook the hand of every player at the mini-camp,'' said Sisco, who didn't run any routes with Manning. "It's not as if we didn't know him. I thought that was pretty nice.''

Sisco, 6-foot-1 and 214 pounds, is projected as a slotback. The Riders selected him despite being well-stocked with Canadian receivers. Among those receivers is slotback Jason Clermont, another graduate of the Rams.

Clermont signed with the Riders as a free agent in 2009 after seven seasons with the B.C. Lions. Taman said that Clermont remains part of the Riders' plans in 2010.
"When he came in here last year, the role that he was given maybe wasn't communicated to him the way it should have been,'' said Taman. "He wants to play and he will get every opportunity to do that.''

No comments: