Thursday, May 13, 2010

SASK HUSKIE - TAYLOR WALLACE SIGNS


By Kevin Mitchell, The StarPhoenix May 13, 2010
Taylor Wallace's CFL priorities were firmly established at an early age.

"If I didn't cheer for the Riders, my dad would have disowned me. I definitely cheered for the Riders growing up," Wallace, the former University of Saskatchewan Huskies' linebacker, said Wednesday after officially signing a free-agent contract with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

"I would have been happy with any team giving me a shot, but for it to be the Riders is a notch above. I'm excited."

Wallace grew up in Unity and played nine-man high-school football before joining the Huskies.
He's not big -- he played last season at 5-foot-10, 216 pounds -- but earns plaudits for his heart and work ethic.

The undrafted Wallace was runner-up for top defensive player in the nation last season, and was named the Huskies most outstanding player and most inspirational player. He shared the team's award for commitment to off-season strength and conditioning.

He exhausted his eligibility at the end of the campaign.

"(Roughriders' general manager Brendan Taman) said challenging for a spot on special teams is where I'd start, and to go from there," Wallace said.

"I'm not looking for a starting linebackers' spot right off the bat, but even getting a chance to do special teams is a huge honour. That would be a big first step to take.

"It's all on me; there's no what-ifs now. It's going to be my responsibility to sell myself and show them I deserve to be there. I've got my shot and it's all on me to prove it."

Members of the 2009 Huskies team have forged several CFL ties of late.

Kicker/defensive back Grant Shaw and offensive lineman Patrick Neufeld were drafted by Toronto and Saskatchewan, respectively, this month.

Slotback Scott McHenry signed a deal with Winnipeg, and after the draft, the Blue Bombers offered a contract to Huskies' centre Darren Hinds. McHenry has no eligibility remaining, while Hinds has one year left.

Hinds says inking a CFL contract was the realization of a life-long dream, but he has no problems returning to Saskatchewan for one final season with the Huskies if that's how things work out.

"I've got the best worst-case scenario possible," Hinds said. "The worst-case scenario is I end up back here, and I'm pretty happy about that. When I was a rookie, my goal was to win the Vanier Cup. We haven't done that yet, and I'd be happy to come back and have one more shot at that. Short of an injury, I'm either going to be a Bomber or a Huskie, and both of those are unreal options."

kmitchell@sp.canwest.comRead more: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Huskie+Wallace+excited+sign+with+Riders/3022348/story.html#ixzz0noSj7Lye

No comments: