Saturday, November 27, 2010

FROM STRUGGLE TO SATISFACTION



Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive tackle Ryan Lucas (#96) during morning practice at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton at the 98th Grey Cup on November 26, 2010.
Photograph by: Don Healy, Leader-Post

EDMONTON — The road to Sunday's Grey Cup game has been long and twisted for Brent Hawkins and Ryan Lucas.

This time last year, the Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive linemen were working regular jobs. Hawkins was working at an oil refinery in Wood River, Ill., putting in 16-hour days. Lucas was a project manager for a construction company in Vancouver. Lucas's job required him to do everything from meeting with clients to digging ditches.

On Sunday, the two will be battling in the trenches against the Montreal Alouettes.

"Brent and I talked and we have just kept believing in ourselves,'' Lucas said in advance of Sunday's game (5:30 p.m., TSN, CKRM). "We knew in the back of our heads that we were meant to play. It was just a matter of the right situation. I'm so glad that it happened.''

Hawkins, a first-year defensive end, wept after the Riders beat the Calgary Stampeders 20-16 in the West Division final last Sunday.
"I broke down crying and Ryan Lucas can relate because he was doing the same thing working construction,'' said the 27-year-old Hawkins. "He asked me why I was crying and I said they were happy tears. I came from working 16-hour days, starting at four in the morning and it was hell. It knocked me down a few pegs and I'm happy on the team, but I'm a different player because of what I went through at the oil refinery.''
Lucas, a defensive tackle, supplemented his income by working in Vancouver nightclubs as a bouncer while waiting for his chance. He also counted on friends to help him financially and emotionally.

"I've been able to surround myself with people when I didn't have $2 in my pocket, they were able to help me out,'' the 26-year-old Lucas said. "They didn't expect anything in return. I do this for them, for my teammates and for Saskatchewan. I know that everybody back home takes a lot of pride in this. I know they will be watching back and they feel part of it. That means a lot to me to have those kind of people behind me.''

Hawkins said he remains in contact with his co-workers and with friends from his hometown of Jerseyville, Ill.

"All of us didn't come from the greatest beginnings,'' said Hawkins, who dressed for 20 games with the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars over the 2006 and 2007 seasons while recording 23 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks. "We all grew up poor and to see a guy from a small town pop up and be in this position ... They are all proud of me. (Sunday's) game is for them and our fans in Saskatchewan.''

After three seasons at Western Washington University, Lucas signed a free-agent contract with the Alouettes in December of 2006. He spent the 2007 season and the 2008 pre-season with the Als before being cut. He said he had tryouts with the Stampeders, B.C. Lions (twice) and Edmonton Eskimos and also was in training camp this spring with the Arena Football League's Spokane Shock.

Lucas was added to the Riders' practice roster in May. He made his first appearance on the active roster against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sept. 25 and dressed for four regular-season games. Lucas recorded a fumble recovery in the Riders' 31-23 victory over the visiting Eskimos on Nov. 6.
Lucas is living the life of a professional player, but still has problems believing it's actually taking place.

"It feels surreal,'' Lucas said. "I had emotions after the West final, but I was so focused on coming here. This is the big prize. I bottled up my emotions after the West final because we had this game ahead. I guarantee when we win this thing, I will have to run in the locker room so no one will see me cry.''

Hawkins is enjoying his life in Regina so much that he plans on remaining there through the off-season.

"I want to be close to my doctors and my coach,'' Hawkins said. "I'm the type of guy who likes to really get at it during the off-season. I want to spend some time getting better. This experience has been great because I've never played for a championship in my career.''

No comments: