Tuesday, November 30, 2010

RIDERS GATHER FOR THE LAST TIME IN 2010



After the end of their season on Sunday, the Riders' annual garbage bag day saw most of the players show up to clean out their lockers. Weston Dressler packs his bags.
Photograph by: Roy Antal, Leader-Post

REGINA — As Weston Dressler emptied the contents of his locker into a garbage bag, he couldn't help but ponder the finality of it all.

The 2010 Saskatchewan Roughriders gathered for the last time on Tuesday before going their separate ways. In some cases, the players will depart with a simple "see you next year." In other instances, it could be a final "good-bye."

"It's always a weird day, that last day when the season is over, cleaning out the lockers, because it's really the last time you're going to have this whole team together," noted Dressler, a three-year CFL veteran. "You don't know how many guys are going to come back. You'd like to think you're going to have the same team next year, but there's always at least a few that are sent to a different team or done playing football and you may never see those guys again."

Regardless of how the Roughriders' season had ended — they lost 21-18 to the Montreal Alouettes in Sunday's Grey Cup — the arrival of the off-season would inevitably bring many of the same questions and uncertainties. That includes Dressler. The dynamic slotback is entering the option year of his contract, which means he can explore his options south of the border.

"I haven't talked with any agent or anyone about that yet," he said. "We'll see what he says and take it from there. It's going to depend on what types of situations I'm in (with potential NFL opportunities). I'd really have to evaluate once the time comes."

That equation could change if Saskatchewan offers him a contract extension.

"Yeah, if I'm going to be in the CFL, this is where I want to be," he said. "This is the team to play for, the organization I want to be a part of. I would definitely look forward to that."

The Riders have at least nine players who are eligible to become free agents in February — a list which includes a mixture of backups and starters, young up-and-comers and grizzled veterans. One of the latter is Canadian linebacker Mike McCullough, a valuable backup and special-teams captain.

"You'd like to have everybody back but there's always some changes," said McCullough, who left no doubt as to his intentions. "I'd love to be back. This is where my heart is, it's where I've always played and I want to play here. Hopefully they want me back."

McCullough chuckled when it was pointed out that his stance might not be considered a shrewd negotiating tactic.

"I think they know I want to be here," he added. "I've been here eight years and I haven't tried to escape yet. I know my role on this team and I enjoy it. I guess if I had to go somewhere (else) I would. I don't want to, though. I'm not going to piss around and waste people's time by telling them I am going to go somewhere because I don't want to go somewhere else."

The same goes for defensive end Kitwana Jones, who's another potential free agent.

"I would love to retire a Rider but as of right now I don't know what the situation is," said the six-year veteran. "I'll find out in the next couple months. I'd like to be a Rider until I'm done playing ball."

That said, there are times when sentiment has to be weighed against the business side of football. That's the case for veteran running back Neal Hughes, a native of Regina who has already talked to the Riders' brass about sticking around.

"Obviously I'd like to stay here, but I want to be making some money, too," he told the Leader-Post's Craig Slater. "It's my seventh year in the league and I feel I contribute in a lot of different ways for this team."
One of Saskatchewan's highest-profile free agents is linebacker Sean Lucas, a former West Division all-star who missed the 2010 playoffs with an elbow injury. Lucas said he'd like to be back with the Riders but he also knows there are no guarantees.

"This is the greatest place to play in the CFL," he said. "The longer you play here, you grow to appreciate the community and the fans and just the way people support our team. But I haven't really talked to the team about any of that (contract stuff). I'm just waiting till I get a phone call, basically. There's always the anticipation of where you're going to be and where you're going to go. There's always the unknown. It's kind of the toughest part of the business."

No comments: