Monday, February 14, 2011

BAGG EXPECTS TO BE BACK FOR TRAINING CAMP



REGINA — Rob Bagg doesn’t plan on taking a knee when it comes to any part of the upcoming CFL season.

The veteran wide receiver expects to be ready for the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ training camp despite suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee late in the regular season last year against the Calgary Stampeders.

“I’m always an optimist,” Bagg said from his off-season home in Kingston, Ont. “The running is coming along well and I’m back with my strength coach. I’m doing the kind of things that I would normally do now. I’m pleased with where I’m at and optimistic that I’ll be back at the beginning of the year.”

That seems like a relatively quick recovery for Bagg, who underwent surgery in mid-November to replace his torn ACL with one from a cadaver. Ken Miller, the Riders’ former head coach and now vice-president of football operations, told reporters Thursday that he expected Bagg to be sidelined until Labour Day. It typically takes players who suffered injuries such as Bagg’s six to nine months to recover.

“I haven’t talked to coach Miller yet, but I’m coming out in March for a checkup,” Bagg said. “Hopefully, I’ll be able to give him a good surprise when I do. I don’t feel like there is any reason why I shouldn’t be ready for training camp.”

Riders general manager Brendan Taman was cautious when told about Bagg’s intention to return for training camp. Veterans are to report June 5.

“It’s a serious injury,” Taman said. “He could be ready, but then he couldn’t be. It’s a long process.”

Bagg injured his knee Oct. 17 when the visiting Stampeders beat the Roughriders 34-26. He was sidelined for the final three regular-season games and the Riders’ playoff run, which ended with a 21-18 loss to the Montreal Alouettes in the Grey Cup game.

Bagg, 26, knows the time frame it often takes to bounce back from his type of knee injury. Elite athletes can shorten that recovery time and Bagg vowed to be one of those, hopefully following in the footsteps of New England receiver Wes Welker, who returned to the Patriots’ active roster this past season, seven months after tearing his ACL.

“I’ve just been very diligent,” said Bagg, who had 44 receptions for 688 yards and three touchdowns as the wide-side receiver before being injured. “I’ve spent every hour that I can getting my knee right. I see my strength coach and physiotherapist every day and between the both of them I’m probably doing four hours of work (per day). I’m just trying to take care of my body. I’m having a little less fun than I’ve had in the past, but I’m trying to eat right and I’m really focusing my energy on getting my right leg back to where I think it should be.”


Bagg’s sights are set on more than returning to the active roster. The signing of slotback Andy Fantuz with the Chicago Bears on Feb. 4 has created an opening at that position with the Riders.

Bagg would like to move from wide receiver to slotback, a spot he filled at times when Weston Dressler suffered a broken leg late in the 2008 season.

“I’ve always played slotback and I think I’m more effective there,” Bagg said, who was a slotback with Queen’s University before signing with the Riders as a free agent. “We’ll see what happens when they start shuffling guys around, but any player who wants the football in the CFL wants to play slotback.”


Bagg feels if he continues to progress, he’ll be in the running for that position when training camp opens.

“As football players, we’re all driven individuals but you really find out how much you love the game and how much you miss it when you get setbacks like this,” Bagg said. “I’m trying to take this as a learning experience and hopefully it will make me stronger.”

No comments: