Monday, February 21, 2011

MAKE NO MISTAKE...REGEHR A RIDER FAN



Flames D-man robyn regehr sports his Saskatchewan roughriders headgear during Flames practice at McMahon Stadium on Saturday.Photograph by: Leah Hennel, Calgary Herald, Calgary HeraldA chartered member of the loyal order of Saskatchewan Roughriders fans has infiltrated the Calgary Stampeders locker-room.

"Henry Burris started this," Calgary Flames defenceman Robyn Regehr pronounced Saturday. "It's taken me a little while to get back at him, but I finally did."

The dispute dates back three years ago when Burris appeared on the television show Off the Record. Host Michael Landsberg asked the Calgary quarterback which Flames player is the biggest Stampeder fan.

"Robyn Regehr," Burris responded.

Wrong. So, very wrong.

Regehr, of course, grew up in Rosthern, Sask. On November road trips, the rugged defenceman can often be found huddled in a hotel room watching his beloved Roughriders on the road to the Grey Cup.

The plan for revenge is two-fold. The first step had Regehr wearing a green Roughriders tuque -complete with the ear flaps designed to protect against that brutal Saskatchewan wind -to Flames practice Saturday at McMahon Stadium.

Defenceman Cory Sarich is also a massive Riders supporter. Schad Richea, the assistant athletic therapist, is diehard for the men in green.

Still, Regehr insists he went it alone.

"This is a solo mission," Regehr said. "I'm going rogue right now."

True enough, but he did get some help securing the hat for the occasion. "I had a friend specifically request it from the Riders," he said. "They were nice enough to send it out to me.

"I think they were pretty happy when they heard what would be happening with it."

For good reason. Forget the Edmonton Eskimos or Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are Calgary's biggest rival, and vice versa. And hard feelings still exist of the Stampeders' temporary ban of Gainer the Gopher, the Saskatchewan mascot, from a 2006 playoff game.

Burris, of course, is a polarizing figure as a former Roughrider turned Stampeder.

"What a great opportunity to be in his stadium, in his dressing room," Regehr said, rubbing his hands together.

Which leads us to Part 2 of the plan. "Maybe," Regehr said. "I'll leave him a little bit of a surprise in his stall, too."

Maybe? You can count on it. Regehr had scouted out exactly where Burris sits in the palatial dressing room on the south side of the McMahon.

The Riders chapeau left Regehr open for plenty of ribbing from his teammates.

"That's great when you're icefishing,"said centre Brendan Morrison, "but I don't know about hockey."

"If I had known he was going to wear that," said defenceman Steve Staios, "I would have worn my Hamilton Tiger-Cats hat."

Stampeders long snapper Randy Chevrier feels for Regehr, in a way. As a Montreal Canadiens fan living in Calgary, he understands the concept of divided loyalties.

"I grew up a Canadiens fan my whole life, but I've adopted Calgary and its adopted me," he said. "And I would like to think I'm not as overt and annoying at times as some Riders fan can be."

Suddenly a fashion plate, Regehr also brought along a pair of beaded Calgary Flames snowmobile gloves that looked a lot like moccasins for the hands.

"During the lockout, I was actually up past La Ronge in Stanley Mission," Regehr said. "I actually went on a snowmobile/poker rally. I had a really, really good time up there with my dad and some other guys. So I talked about my time up there on CBC After Hours.

"The next thing you know, the band sent down those snowmobile gloves with the Calgary Flames sequins on them."

Regehr lent the gloves to head coach Brent Sutter for practice.

"Warm," Sutter said. "Very warm."

Much like Regehr's hat.

vHall@CalgaryHerald.Com



Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Make+mistake+Regehr+Riders/4316653/story.html#ixzz1EepvvQ4b

No comments: