Friday, February 11, 2011

RENAULD WILLIAMS WANTS TO PLAY AGAIN



REGINA — After being on the sidelines for one football season, Renauld Williams doesn't have any intention of being there for another.

The former Saskatchewan Roughriders import middle linebacker missed the 2010 season after trying out for the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers. Williams suffered an injury to his left knee during the fourth pre-season game leading into the 2010 season and was waived after training camp. Williams said recently that the knee is fine and he's looking forward to playing football in 2011.

"I missed one season and I really can't afford to sit out another,'' Williams said from Michigan where he was conducting business.

Where that might be remains to be determined. Williams took advantage of the CFL's option-year window to try out with the Steelers, but CFL's Riders still hold his rights. Williams can file for free agency Tuesday if he's not re-signed by the Roughriders.

"I would love to return to the Riders,'' said Williams, who lives in Atlanta during the off-season. "(The Roughriders) are definitely my first choice, but I don't know where they are in regards to the salary cap and all of that stuff. My agent will handle that. I do want to come back there and finish my career.''

Williams is weighing his options when it comes to the NFL. There is a possibility of a lockout in 2011 and any player who signs with an NFL team wouldn't be eligible to return to the CFL in the event of a labour disruption. Williams has had talks with representatives from Pittsburgh and the Green Bay Packers regarding invitations to their training camps if there is a season.

"The lockout thing is really weighing on my decision on what I want to do,'' said Williams, who spent 2 1/2 seasons with the Riders. "I would say because of that, it's 95-per-cent certain that I will return to the CFL.''

Williams realizes that signing with another NFL team would be another gamble, with even more risks than joining the Steelers in 2010.

"I know that I wouldn't get any money up front,'' said Williams, who turns 30 on Feb. 23. "Then I would have to hope that someone gets injured or something like that to get a chance and there aren't any guarantees that I'll be kept after camp. Then I'm risking the lockout so it's probably not in my best interest. I'm not getting any younger and I definitely can't sit out another season of football.''

Williams said there have been some discussions between his agent, Storm Kirschenbaum, and Riders general manager Brendan Taman. They are dealing with the financial ramifications of signing Williams and where he would play in 2011.

Sorting out where Williams would start is a challenge. Barrin Simpson took over as middle linebacker last year with the Riders and led the CFL with 105 defensive tackles.

"Barrin is a great linebacker and one that I really respect,'' Williams said. "He's productive and he has been that way since he's been in the CFL. I don't know if he's going to stay or anything like that. I'll have to wait until (Tuesday) to see what happens.''

Jerrell Freeman, who was among the league's best young linebackers in 2010, has worked out for some NFL teams and his status is uncertain. If Freeman doesn't sign with an NFL team, he would also return to the Riders in 2011. The Riders also have three import linebackers who can test free agency — Sean Lucas, Daniel Francis and Kye Stewart. Williams could move to an outside linebacker if needed, though.

"I can play anywhere,'' said Williams, who dressed for a total of 31 regular-season games with the Riders and recorded 98 defensive tackles and six sacks. "The question is, 'Do I want to play outside linebacker?' I like being a middle linebacker and I've been there for the last couple of years. I like the position and the responsibility that comes with it.''

There has been speculation if Williams doesn't return to the Riders, the Edmonton Eskimos might be interested in signing him. Eric Tillman, Edmonton's general manager, brought Williams into the CFL when he was the Riders' GM.

"I have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks,'' said Williams, who led the Riders in the 2009 playoffs with 21 defensive tackles and four sacks. "If Saskatchewan makes me a good offer, then I'll look at it. I'm open to anything in the next couple of weeks.''

Williams may not have been in this position if he had remained with the Riders for the 2010 season. He doesn't have any regrets over how the year turned out.

"I was fortunate that Saskatchewan picked me up (after being released by the San Francisco 49ers), but I've always wanted to go back (to the NFL),'' Williams said. "I gave it everything I could and worked as hard as I could. I was second in defensive tackles (seven) during the pre-season and had I not gotten hurt, I would have led the team. I had guys who had been there for a long time saying I could really help out (the Steelers). I had a chance and I learned so much. I had a great experience with the Pittsburgh and I wouldn't take it back for anything.''

No comments: