Friday, February 4, 2011

FANTUZ...NOW A BEAR



It appears that the Steelers have helped themselves to Andy Fantuz, who was named the CFL's most outstanding Canadian in 2010 after amassing a league-high 1,380 receiving yards.Photograph by: Troy Fleece, Leader-Post filesREGINA — In the end, Andy Fantuz felt the opportunity to sign with the Chicago Bears was too good to pass up.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders slotback signed Friday with Chicago despite a lockout looming in the NFL on March 4. There is also the risk involved in even making an NFL team, a scenario that wouldn't be in consideration if Fantuz had remained with the Riders. Despite those uncertainties, Fantuz felt this was the time to gamble on one day playing in the NFL.

"I have my chance now and I know that I'm not getting any younger,'' the 27-year-old Fantuz said from Toronto late Friday after signing with the Bears. "I don't know if the same offer will be there next year. The lockout is out of my control, but it's the same situation as the CFL was in last year. I can't speculate on why or when it might happen, but this was the time for me. Everything has fallen in place and it was my best year in the CFL. It seemed like the right time and this is my shot. I'm going to stick with it and (the lockout) didn't even figure in my plans.''

Fantuz landed his first NFL contract after his best CFL season. In 2010, he was named the league's most outstanding Canadian and a first-team all-star after appearing in all 18 regular-season games and three playoff encounters. He led the CFL with 1,380 receiving yards on 87 receptions and had six touchdowns.

Fantuz's performance drew interest from the Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers, Minnesota Vikings, Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots. Fantuz worked out for each team and said he had offers from four. He picked the Bears because it was the best fit.

"They are similar to the Riders in that they have a strong, passionate fan base and a lot of history in their organization,'' said Fantuz, who was selected third overall by the Riders in the 2006 CFL draft. "They also have a lot of great people. Everyone I met down there was warm and friendly. That, paired with the fact they have a need for a receiver like myself, seemed like a great fit for me. It seemed that I had a good chance of making the team.''

Fantuz signed a two-year contract, but declined to reveal the financial details. He was signed to a futures/reserves contract, which is commonly signed by players not on an active roster in the previous season. It's referred to as futures because the 2011 season doesn't start until March.

"I'm not going to tell you if it's a big signing bonus or not,'' said Fantuz, who would have earned $160,000 with the Riders in 2011. "If you tell somebody that they have a chance to play in the NFL without a signing bonus, they would take it. It's all about the opportunity. Whether players get signing bonuses is based on teams and their philosophies. Some of my other offers might have been bigger, but I didn't weigh my decision based on money. I weighed it on the fit and the team I fit the best. I'll make my money on my second contract.''

Fantuz became one of the Riders' most popular players during his five CFL seasons. He was involved in the community, was featured on a breakfast cereal called Fantuz Flakes, and his No. 83 jersey was among the league's best sellers. He leaves the Riders with mixed feelings.

"It was an extremely tough decision to consider the possibility of leaving the Riders,'' said Fantuz. "I'm grateful for everything the organization has done for me and what the province has given me. It won't be forgotten. Saskatchewan will always be in my heart and my second home. For personal reasons it was time to take the next step and try to make the big show. The NFL has been a dream of mine all of my life and this is a step towards making it happen.''

Chris Getzlaf, a slotback with the Riders, feels that Fantuz has earned the chance to make the jump to the NFL.

"I knew there was going to be some NFL interest because of the season he had,'' Getzlaf said. "If someone made him an offer, I knew he would take it. He deserves it and we're all happy for him.''

Fantuz was in the option year of his contract, and thus was allowed to work out for NFL teams up to Feb. 15. Players who signed before the new collective bargaining agreement was announced in July were allowed to take advantage of the opportunity. That window has been closed under the new CBA.

If option-year players are not signed by the CFL's free-agent deadline, they have to return to CFL teams. Fantuz wouldn't be eligible to return to the Riders if there is a lockout or strike in the NFL.

If the 2011 season goes ahead, Fantuz would be involved in all aspects of the Bears' preparations. If released, he likely wouldn't be available until September. If that did take place, Fantuz would expect to remain with the Riders for the long term.

"That would be the logical progression,'' Fantuz said.

Fantuz said the Bears are looking for him to play wide receiver or slotback. They haven't asked him to gain any weight or change his style of play.

"They told me to stay at whatever my best weight is and be in the best shape that I can be,'' the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Fantuz said.

mmccormick@leaderpost.com



Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Riders+Andy+Fantuz+signs+with+Chicago+Bears/4225860/story.html#ixzz1D3ONgwEs

No comments: