Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kitwana vs Lloyd


Saskatchewan Roughriders' Kitwana Jones
Photograph by: Don Healy, Leader-Post

REGINA — Defensive end Kitwana Jones and middle linebacker Maurice Lloyd refuse to let the business side of football divide a strong friendship that was forged as teammates with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
That's the approach Jones and Lloyd have adopted heading into Sunday's game at Mosaic Stadium between the Roughriders and Edmonton Eskimos. The West Division showdown will be the first time that Jones and Lloyd have played on different teams since joining the CFL. They refer to each other as brothers but that won't be the case Sunday.


"I have a job that I have to keep and he has one that he has to keep,'' Lloyd said Thursday from Edmonton. "If you go out there and try to brother-love each other, someone is going to get released. There isn't any friendship between the white lines, just like any other sport. Outside the lines, we're the best friends ever. Between them, we are enemies.''


Jones and Lloyd started the 2009 season with the Eskimos. Lloyd signed with Edmonton during the off-season as a free agent after three seasons with the Riders. Jones was traded May 14 to Edmonton for backup quarterback Juan Joseph, who was released after training camp. Jones had spent four seasons with the Riders and the two shared in the 2007 Grey Cup championship.


Their positions changed Sept. 8 when Edmonton released Jones. Lloyd was one of the first people Jones called with the news.

"It was hard talking to him because I knew that we wouldn't be on the same side anymore,'' said Lloyd. "From the time I joined the league we were always together on and off the field.''
After Jones was released, the men played eight games of Madden NFL before Jones left the next morning to start driving to Regina. Jones re-signed with the Riders on Sept. 9. It just worked out that Jones' first game back with the Roughriders is Sunday against his good friend.


"This isn't Mo-saic Stadium anymore,'' Jones said after Thursday's practice at Mosaic Stadium. "That's because it's not Mo Lloyd's turf anymore. He's an Eski-Mo and he's over there now. This is my team and it's the Riders' turf. He's my brother and I love him to death but between the white lines, if I have to hit him I will.''
Jones joined the Riders in 2005. In 2006, the Roughriders signed Lloyd as a free agent. The two quickly became friends when they realized how much they had in common.


"My father's name was Lloyd and he saw the tattoo on my arm,'' Jones recalled. "He asked me about that. As we got to know each other, we found out that we were very similar.''


The men have similar hairstyles and taste in clothing. They also share similar builds — the 28-year-old Jones is 6-foot-0 and 232 pounds and the 26-year-old Lloyd is 5-foot-11 and 235 pounds. During the off-season, they both work as peer counsellors in group homes.

"He's just a little more forceful than I am,'' said Jones. "I'm the quiet killer and he's a straight-out suicidal killer. We're both going to get it done and we have bonded because of that.''


Jones and Lloyd expect to meet for dinner Saturday. Lloyd said then it will be early to bed because there is a game to played on Sunday. Lloyd knows that the game will be different because the two are on different teams.


"I was so used to hearing his voice on the side that I played on,'' said Lloyd. "I'm happy that he found a new home and got another chance to keep playing football.''


Jones' role with the Riders is still being defined. He's expected to play on special teams, mainly on the coverage side of the ball. He might also see some time at defensive end.


There isn't any doubt about Jones feeling that he has something to prove to the Eskimos.
"For some reason I don't get the kind of respect that I deserve,'' said Jones, who has 98 defensive tackles, 60 special teams tackles and 18 sacks through 73 CFL games with the Riders and Eskimos. "I think I'm a very good defensive player but I didn't get a chance to prove it. When I get that chance, I'm going to show them that I'm a great defensive player.


"I'm tired of being underrated but the only people who don't underrate me are the players who I go against. It does help the team and the coaches in a way because they know that I will do whatever it takes to help my team win.''

mmccormick@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

No comments: