Sunday, September 27, 2009

WILLIAMS MAKES AN IMPACT !!


By Murray McCormick, Leader-PostSeptember 27, 2009Be the first to post a comment


EDMONTON — The 13th man came through Saturday for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
Linebacker Rey Williams was that man when the Roughriders were assessed a penalty for having 13 players on the field during a Luca Congi field goal late in the second quarter of a 23-20 victory over the Edmonton Eskimos. Congi's 41-yard field goal into howling winds was nullified by the penalty.

"I thought I was on the (field-goal team) but I wasn't,'' said Williams. "It was my mistake.''
A time-count penalty on the next play pushed the Riders out of field-goal range and forced them to punt. That's when punter Jamie Boreham executed a rugby-style punt that bounced in front of Eskimos returner Bradley Robinson.

Robinson wasn't able to handle the bouncing ball, which was eventually recovered in the end zone for a touchdown by Williams.

"I felt bad that I took away three points,'' Williams said after the Riders improved to 7-5 and maintained a share of first place in the West Division with the Calgary Stampeders. "I knew I had to make it up somehow. Fortunately, he fumbled the ball and I was able to score a touchdown.''

The major helped the Riders post a 12-10 halftime lead. Williams then inadvertently played a role in a 55-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run by Edmonton's Arkee Whitlock. The long touchdown helped the Eskimos grab a 19-15 lead early in the fourth quarter.

"That touchdown was my fault,'' said Williams. "I slipped and I should have made the play. I did slip but there aren't any excuses. I have to make that play.''

The Riders made up for Williams's slip on their next offensive possession. Quarterback Darian Durant guided a seven-play, 65-yard drive that culminated in a one-yard touchdown run by backup quarterback Steven Jyles.

Durant then hooked up with slotback Andy Fantuz on a two-point convert to give the Riders a 23-20 advantage.

"The guys played well and we only gave up one touchdown, which was my fault,'' said Williams. "We came here looking for a win and that's what we got. That's why it's a team game.''
Saturday's game marked the first appearance by Williams since he was sidelined with a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee on Aug. 11.

"I still have to get the rust off,'' said Williams, who played mostly on special teams but saw some action at middle linebacker. "I just have to get back to playing football.''

No comments: