Thursday, September 3, 2009

UPDATE ON FANTUZ



Here's the story I filed on Andy Fantuz to the paper.

By MURRAY McCORMICKLeader-Post


Slotback Andy Fantuz denied reports Wednesday that he has rejected a contract offer from the Saskatchewan Roughriders.Dave Naylor, a Globe and Mail sports writer and TSN’s CFL reporter, reported that Fantuz had turned down a contract offer from the Riders. Naylor said that Fantuz was doing so because he wanted to pursue opportunities in the NFL at the end of the season.


“I’ve never made any type of comment like that,’’ Fantuz told the Leader-Post on Wednesday. “I’m focused on getting my leg better and I haven’t even talked to my agent yet. I don’t know where Dave Naylor got that from but I like Regina and they have treated me well all along.“(Riders general manager) Eric Tillman and I have always worked well together. We look forward to pursuing this and figuring something out. Basically what Dave Naylor said is totally false.’’Fantuz, 25, is in the option year of a two-year contract which he signed with the Riders after his rookie season in 2006. The Riders’ first-round pick (third overall) in the 2006 CFL draft signed for a year and an option as a rookie.That meant Fantuz could have been eligible to test free agency the year after he was named the top Canadian in the Riders’ 23-19 Grey Cup victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Tillman was able to extend that contract with little fanfare.


Fantuz said Wednesday that he called Tillman, who is on paid administrative leave, to make sure there weren’t any misunderstandings between him and the Riders leading from the reports.Fantuz, who has missed four games this season with a torn left hamstring, said that his position hasn’t changed since he answered questions from the media on Monday. He told the media that he wanted to concentrate on getting his leg healthy and would worry about his contract later.


Fantuz, who is represented by Atlanta-based agents of Hadley Engelhard and Jim Ulrich, is expected to play Sunday when the Riders play host to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.Fantuz pursued opportunities in the NFL before arriving two days late for training camp in 2006. Fantuz, the 2005 Hec Crighton Trophy winner while a receiver with the University of Western Ontario Mustangs, said the dream of playing in the NFL remains.


“I’ve always had a dream of playing in the NFL but that will happen when it happens,’’ said Fantuz. “That’s not something that I’m saying will happen at the end of this year or maybe not. It’s just something that I haven’t talked to (Naylor) about and neither has my agent.’’

No comments: