Friday, September 11, 2009

QUARTERBACKS AND PURSE SNATCHERS BEWARE !



Roughriders' Kitwana Jones (left) with defensive line coach Mike Scheper at practice at Mosaic Stadium on Thursday.
Photograph by: Don Healy, Leader-Post
REGINA — Kitwana Jones issued a threat shortly after meeting with the media Thursday.
"Criminals beware!'' Jones said. "I'm out here.''
Jones then laughed at his reference to him and another bystander chasing down a purse snatcher in Edmonton on July 21. While would-be purse snatchers may be unhappy with the return of Jones, that was hardly the case with the Saskatchewan Roughriders because they warmly welcomed him back. Jones returns after being traded to the Edmonton Eskimos on May 14 for quarterback Juan Joseph, who was released in June.
"I'm just glad to be back,'' said Jones, who had spent four seasons with the Riders before being traded to Edmonton. "I love the football environment. I'm happy to be a Rider and I've always been a Rider.''
Jones, who had received calls from other CFL teams, wasn't worried about being out of work for long.
"I knew that I would have another job because other teams know what kind of intensity I can bring to a team,'' said Jones, who re-signed with the Riders on Wednesday after completing the eight-hour drive from Edmonton. "They know what kind of leadership that I can bring on and off the field. I'm not one of those guys who gets into trouble or is in the news for anything negative. I'm good for any team in this league.''
The Riders initially didn't feel that he was a good fit for this year's team and the defensive schemes being installed under defensive co-ordinator Gary Etcheverry. It was felt that Jones, who is listed at 6-foot-0 and a generous 232 pounds, was too light to play defensive end. Etcheverry and the Riders appear to have altered that opinion when Jones became available.
"Not necessarily, is all I can say,'' Etcheverry said. "We think that he's going to fit into the scheme very well.''
Jones, 28, wasn't happy with the trade but those feelings appear to behind him now.
"I really didn't (want to be traded),'' said Jones, who shared in the Riders' 23-19 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the 2007 Grey Cup game. "I was a hurt on the trade but (general manager) Eric Tillman and everybody came to me and told me they made a mistake and that they're happy to have me back. I'm ready to go.''
What position Jones will fill is to be determined. The Riders have fared well with the trio of John Chick, Stevie Baggs and Luc Mullinder at defensive end. Baggs and Chick lead the league with seven sacks each and the Riders are first overall with 25. Jones said he doesn't plan on upsetting the chemistry that has been developed at that position.
"All I'm trying to do is help the team to become better,'' said Jones. "I'm not trying to disrupt what is going on with the other guys but there is always room for improvement. What I'm trying to do is improve my team.''
That may mean contributing on a special teams. The Riders wouldn't say if Jones would play Sunday in the Banjo Bowl against the host Blue Bombers because they feel it may take time for him to learn the defence. Some players feel that Jones could contribute immediately on special teams.
"He's a beast on special teams because nobody wants to block him,'' Riders veteran defensive halfback Eddie Davis told reporters. "Anytime other teams prepare for him, they always have to put two or three guys on him. He's going to be a big plus for this team.''
The Eskimos didn't feel that way. Jones met Tuesday with Eskimos head coach Richie Hall, who told him he was being released. Jones was told that the Eskimos needed to make a move with former Riders middle linebacker Maurice Lloyd scheduled to return for today's game against the Calgary Stampeders from a hamstring injury.
"They figured the defensive line was strong enough that they didn't need me,'' said Jones. "Why keep a guy who they were barely using? So they let me go.''
Jones said that was an emotional meeting considering the relationship the two had developed while Hall was the Riders' defensive co-ordinator.
"I love Richie,'' said Jones. "Out of my whole time playing football for 18 years, Richie has been one of my favourite coaches. He had to be the bearer of bad news and it was a tough day for him. But I know it was a ratio thing. I know I'm not the biggest guy but I might be one of the fastest and I know that I'm one of the most aggressive.
"They made that decision and when we play them again, they are going to pay for it because there isn't anyone on that team who can stop me.''
mmccormick@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Pos

No comments: