Saturday, January 3, 2009

MAURICE LLOYD - Jan 3rd


REGINA -- Saskatchewan Roughriders middle linebacker Maurice Lloyd said Friday that he is still waiting for a phone call from his agent.

Lloyd read a leaderpost.com report that Riders general manager Eric Tillman sent a six-figure contract proposal to his agent, Marty Magid. Tillman said Friday the proposal was sent about a week before Christmas.

Lloyd, who is eligible to become a CFL free agent on Feb. 15, has yet to hear from Magid regarding the contract proposal.
“My agent hasn’t brought anything to my attention about a six-figure contract,’’ Lloyd said Friday from his home in Connecticut. “If someone has sent me a six-figure deal and I haven’t heard from my agent, I wouldn’t say that is a positive. I’m sure if someone had sent me a six-figure deal that my agent would have contacted me.’’

Tillman has exchanged phone calls with Magid but the two haven’t been able to connect due to the holidays.
“That isn’t unusual for the holidays,’’ Tillman said. “Agents are like everyone else … They have families, too.’’

Lloyd spent three seasons with the Roughriders. He was a West Division all-star in 2007 and shared in the Riders’ Grey Cup victory. In 2008, he was named a CFL all-star. He felt that a six-figure contract offer was wonderful but said it would take more than money for the Riders to re-sign him.

“I have to talk to my agent and figure out what goes on,’’ said Lloyd, who is to celebrate his 26th birthday on Feb. 15. “I have to ask him if we don’t take that deal, what happens in free agency? At the same time, I have to weigh house expenses and everything else. A six-figure deal could bring me back but it’s more than that. It’s about what’s best for my family, being close to home and it’s stuff like that that keeps me from making mistakes.’’

Lloyd said the Roughriders have an advantage in terms of negotiations even though the B.C. Lions are believed to be interested in signing Lloyd should he become a free agent.

“Regina has the first bid by far,’’ Lloyd said. “I haven’t talked to anybody and I’m not worrying about the market right now.’’

Lloyd knows that defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall has left to become the head coach with the Edmonton Eskimos. Who the Riders settle on as defensive co-ordinator will also be part of Lloyd’s decision. Riders assistant coach Gary Etcheverry and CFL veteran Dave Richie are candidates for the position.

Lloyd was pleased to hear the Riders have come to terms with quarterback Darian Durant. Durant’s signing hasn’t been officially announced.
“The biggest thing that Regina could ask for was a starting quarterback,’’ said Lloyd, who was critical of former Roughriders quarterback Michael Bishop when the season ended. “I said how I felt about Bishop. It’s chemistry and you can’t come somewhere and expect people to give you respect. You have to earn respect and Durant has earned that respect despite getting injured.


Our offence was wonderful and (signing former B.C. Lions slotback) Jason Clermont added more strength to our offence.’’
mmccormick@leaderpost.canwest.com

No comments: