Friday, December 12, 2008

CLERMONT A RIDER !!!!


REGINA -- Jason Clermont came home today.
The 29-year-old slotback signed a contract for two years plus an option with his hometown Saskatchewan Roughriders just 10 days after he was released by the B.C. Lions.
“I’m kind of speechless actually,” Clermont said shortly after donning a No. 82 Roughriders jersey during a press conference at Mosaic Stadium. “I had a lot of things I was prepared to say. I’m a little bit overwhelmed right now and really happy for the opportunity I’ve been presented.


The stars aligned for me and I’m really looking forward to earning my spot on this roster.”
Clermont and Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman said the signing was just a natural for someone who was born and raised in Regina and played for the Usher Unicorns and University of Regina Rams.

During his seven years with the Lions, Clermont still made Regina his home and will now be able to stay there year-round with his wife Renae, daughter Tanessa and the new baby the family is expecting in January.
“We have an opportunity to bring someone who is very special to this province home and welcome him and his family to our football family,” said Tillman. “We got better as a football team and got better as an organization in terms of character and leadership.”
While family was at the top of the list for Clermont, there were other factors that led to his decision to sign with Saskatchewan.

“The direction the organization has taken in that past few years is fairly remarkable and something people are proud to be a part of,” said Clermont. “I’m here with my family and being able to go home each night, eat dinner with my family, sleep in my own bed and be in the community and be around is something that will complete me as a person. It allows me to focus all my energy on thing I’m doing on a daily basis as opposed to splitting my life into a bunch of different parts.”

Clermont joins a talented group of receivers — which is deep at slotback in particular. Along with Andy Fantuz and reigning CFL rookie-of-the-year Weston Dressler, the Roughriders now have one of the most talented trios of slotbacks in the league.

Clermont was drafted fourth overall by the Lions in the 2002 CFL draft and went on to become the league’s rookie-of-the-year at season’s end. He was named the most outstanding Canadian in the CFL in 2004 and again in 2007. He also won the top Canadian award in the 2004 Grey Cup, a game the Lions lost to the Toronto Argonauts. Clermont went on to win a Grey Cup ring with the Lions in 2006.

Despite missing three games due to injury in 2008, Clermont finished the season with 50 catches for 640 yards and three touchdowns. He was released by the Lions in a move that trimmed salary and would allow the team to use Paris Jackson as an inside receiver.
tswitzer@leaderpost.canwest.com

No comments: