Thursday, December 4, 2008

LIONS RELEASE CLERMONT


REGINA -- One day after Jason Clermont was cut by the B.C. Lions, the Regina-born slotback didn’t want to put any heat on his hometown Saskatchewan Roughriders to make him an offer.
“I don’t want to put any undue pressure on that organization,” Clermont said Wednesday evening. “They’re obviously going to do what is in the best interest of their team, just like the Lions did what was in the best interests of that team. I don’t want to try to force myself on to that team and try to force a square peg in a round hole. I definitely would welcome anybody who has a spot on their roster for me on their football team.”
Later, when asked if he was looking for anything in particular in an offer, Clermont said: “It depends on where you’re able to fit, what the team wants to do with you, what kind of opportunity they’re going to give you, where it is. Obviously it would be a lot easier for me to stay home, but like I said, I don’t want to put any undue pressure on that football team.”
Like Clermont, Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman didn’t want to speculate.
“(Lions head coach and GM) Wally (Buono) and I have exchanged phone calls, but, until we connect, I think it’s inappropriate for me to play the what-if game,” said Tillman. “Jason is, of course, a very good player, an outstanding competitor and a quality person with strong ties to our province. But, there’s a proper protocol in matters such as these, and it’s important for us to be respectful of the Lions until they speak to this situation.”
While the move is likely to send ripples through the CFL, it didn’t come entirely as a surprise to Clermont. The 30-year-old battled a few injuries during the season, was due a bonus on Jan. 1 and had a raise coming. He finished last season with 50 catches for 640 yards and three touchdowns.
Clermont and running back Charles Roberts were released late Tuesday in a move that the Vancouver Province reported would clear $400,000 in cap space for the Lions. Buono told the Province the moves were solely to solidify a spot for tailback Stefan Logan and move non-import receiver Paris Jackson closer to the quarterback.
Whatever the reasons, the move has given Clermont a new outlook on his CFL career.
“I’m very motivated now to make an impact wherever I am,” said Clermont, a product of the Usher Unicorns and University of Regina Rams. “To have a team that you spent your whole career with basically unceremoniously cast you aside, it kind of kicks you in the ass. I’m going to get started here in the next couple days and I’ve got quite a mandate on the things I want to do next season.
“My goal is to have people question that decision for the next five years.”
Despite that, Clermont said he is “absolutely not” angry at the Lions organization.
“I’ve agreed with a lot of the decisions they’ve made over the past seven years in trying to move forward with the football team,” said Clermont. “I think it would be very selfish of me to choose this decision to disagree with. I understand the business and I appreciated the opportunity I was given. And I appreciate the motivation I’m being given now.”
Clermont, the sixth-leading receiver in Lions history, was named the league’s top Canadian in 2007 after catching 86 passes for 1,158 yards and seven touchdowns. He also won the award in 2004. In his seven-year career, Clermont has 428 catches for 5,917 yards and 37 majors.
As he begins his first stint as a free agent, Clermont isn’t putting a timeline on how quickly he wants to find a new CFL home.
“I’m going to play it by ear,” Clermont said. “I know teams around the league are trying to figure things out for themselves and what their structures are going to be.”

No comments: