Thursday, December 18, 2008

ETCHEVERRY WANTS TO BE CIS HEAD COACH


REGINA -- Gary Etcheverry would appear to be the logical candidate to succeed Richie Hall as the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ defensive co-ordinator.

After all, Etcheverry is already an assistant coach on the Roughriders’ staff -- and he has also served as a CFL defensive co-ordinator with the Toronto Argonauts (in 1999), Saskatchewan (2000), B.C. Lions (2001) and Ottawa Renegades (2004).

So why shouldn’t Etcheverry be next in line now that Hall -- the Roughriders’ defensive co-ordinator for the past eight seasons -- is now the Edmonton Eskimos’ head coach?
That question was put to Etcheverry, who indicated that his primary objective is to become a head coach in Canadian university football.
“If I can’t become a CIS head coach, then I’ll talk to the people who want to have those conversations, provided they want to have those conversations,’’ Etcheverry said Wednesday, when Hall’s hiring was announced in Edmonton.

Etcheverry’s possible candidacy was raised with Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman, in the absence of vacationing head coach Ken Miller.
“Gary is an outstanding coach,’’ Tillman said. “Our players have a lot of confidence in him. They have expressed that multiple times. He and Richie are very close. I know Richie was thrilled when he came aboard. As to what final decision will be made, I think Kenny should speak to that.’’

The Roughriders are faced with replacing at least two assistant coaches. Last week, offensive line coach Mike Gibson left to become the offensive co-ordinator with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
“We’re well along the way in both processes, but I think there’s a proper protocol, and Kenny would speak to that,’’ Tillman said.

The California-born Etcheverry, meanwhile, was more than happy to address his interest in coaching collegiately.
“I have failed in communicating to the football universe in Canada, which I realize is pretty small, that what I really want to be is a university head coach,’’ he said. “That’s really what I want to do. It’s independent of compensation. It’s independent of virtually anything else. I believe it’s my niche.

“I have simply failed over the better part of the last six-plus years to accomplish that goal. I will some day. I just don’t know when it is.’’
Etcheverry has been a finalist for a handful of CIS head-coaching jobs in recent years, but to no avail. He was the defensive co-ordinator with the UBC Thunderbirds in 2005.
Most recently, Etcheverry has applied for the vacant head-coaching position at St. Francis Xavier.

“As I submit my materials, I highlight a paragraph which basically says that my short-term and long-term goal is to be a CIS head coach where football can be seen as co-curricular and not extra-curricular in a Canadian university,’’ he said. “I’m very specific about that.

“I came here with the understanding that the club, and in particular Eric and Ken, would do everything they could to help me realize my goal. That’s where my interest lies.’’

Etcheverry rejoined the Roughriders in 2008 as a defensive assistant, helping out in various capacities. He turned more of his attention to coaching the defensive line while Ron Estay, who is responsible for that position, confronted cancer.

“It was also helpful that Ron was able to make guest appearances every so often,’’ said Etcheverry, 52. “That’s what I did this year, and then I did other duties, not only for the defence but for the club, and we’ll leave those without detail.’’
Estay’s involvement with the team was curtailed in late September due to his battle with non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

“Right now, our focus is on Ron and his health,’’ Tillman said. “Ron’s a guy who we care about deeply and we love. Football’s way, way, way down the list of priorities right now. We want to be supportive of Ron and this organization’s going to continue to take care of him and be good to him.

“Whether or not he coaches really is not of significance right now. We just ask that our fans keep him in their thoughts and prayers.’’

No comments: