Saturday, December 13, 2008

COMING HOME WAS A BIG FACTOR


REGINA -- The last time Jason Clermont was faced with the prospect of free agency he knew he eventually wanted to end up with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
That was during the 2007 CFL season, while in the final year of a contract with the B.C. Lions. As it turned out, B.C. made him an offer he couldn’t refuse and on Sept. 11, 2007, he re-signed with the team that had drafted him in 2002.

“That decision then was being loyal to the team that had drafted me,” said Clermont. “They had given me all those opportunities to succeed and they presented me with an offer that financially and with my role on the team was going to help us to further ourselves. Unfortunately that tie ended and opened up this opportunity for me again.”
Clermont was released by the Lions on Dec. 3, paving the way for him to sign with his hometown Roughriders, which he did on Friday for two years plus an option. Financial terms were not disclosed.

“This is easy,” he said during an afternoon press conference at Mosaic Stadium. “If it was a different decision and I had to go to another team, that would be difficult.”
Clermont was none too interested in having to make such a decision. Though he had a contract offer from the Calgary Stampeders the day after he was released by the Lions and interest from the Toronto Argonauts, Clermont did not enter into negotiations with any team other than the Roughriders.

“I wanted to be respectful and not try to leverage an offer between two teams and try to play them that way,” said Clermont. “What I indicated to Eric (Tillman, the Roughriders general manager) without getting too specific about the contract was: Let me know what is going to fit within your current structure and timing. He did that and we didn’t negotiate on that. We negotiated that my contract could increase with performance which is what it should be.”
After all, Clermont’s signing was not nearly as much about money as it was about his family and coming home.

“I’ve often said people who are born here are born with birthmarks and born with logos,” said Tillman. “I know he has a special love for this province. We talked a couple years ago and I understood his loyalty to B.C. and the money they put on the table and the opportunities they gave him. He was clear when we started talking a couple weeks ago where his heart was and it’s here.”

The Roughriders wasted no time showing off their newest member Friday. Clermont dropped the puck before the Regina Pats game and the Riders had 40 “Clermont 82” jerseys on sale at Rider stores in Mosaic Stadium and the Northgate Mall by Friday afternoon. Many had been sold before the announcement was made official and continued to sell throughout the day.
The fact that Clermont was home for the long haul seemed to hit him and his wife during Friday’s press conference. His eyes appeared to be glassy when being introduced by Tillman and Renae teared up when Clermont spoke to reporters about being home with his family.
But as the afternoon wore on, Clermont was anticipating getting on Taylor Field more and more.
“This isn’t football right now,” Clermont said. “This is just the opportunity. The door is open for me and now I’ve got to charge through it and make the most of it. There’s a lot of people who are pulling for me and I don’t want to let anybody down.”
Because of his “hometown son” label and the resume he has compiled over his career -- including two outstanding Canadian awards -- there will be thousands of Roughriders fans in the province and beyond expecting big things out of Clermont. The real pressure on any football team, Clermont said, comes from one’s teammates and coaches.
Besides, a little fan pressure wouldn’t have deterred Clermont anyway.

“This is home,” said Clermont. “Had I made my home somewhere else, that would have been a factor. Had I made my home in Calgary and played half a year in B.C., that would have played a factor. Growing up here and making this home and having a comfort level with the people around me was huge.”

No comments: