Tuesday, December 30, 2008

INTERVIEW WITH MAURICE LLOYD


Free agent Saskatchewan Roughrider linebacker Maurice Lloyd was on 620 CKRM's Sportsline last night talking about his contract status with Canada's Team. He's due to become a free agent if not re-signed prior to February 15


:LYNCH: Are you looking forward to 2009?LLOYD: To be honest I am. I been waiting for the new season. I'm just sitting here patiently waiting to see what's going to go on with the free agency and the contract thing. I've just been home in Connecticut relaxing.


HADESBECK: Is the situation that you want to remain a Roughrider?LLOYD: The situation is that I want to stay, but it's a business


PEDERSEN: Where's it at as of today?LLOYD: The last time my agent talked to GM Eric Tillman was right before I left to come home. I told my agent that if there's not a good offer, don't tell me and I haven't talked to him ever since then and that was at the beginning of November. My agent says he hasn't talked to Eric Tillman since before the holidays so we're just sitting here waiting to see what's going to happen.


PEDERSEN: Carm Carteri tells me you may be interested in trying the NFL. Has anybody approached you?LLOYD: No one's approached me this year but last year I got approached by Tampa Bay so we just have to see what's going to happen. My agent said no NFL teams reach out to anybody in the CFL until January so if that presents itself, I'm going to give it a shot. But right now I'm a Canadian football player and that's where my heart is.


LYNCH: What did you think about Richie Hall going to Edmonton as head coach?LLOYD: I'm happy he's getting the chance to be a head coach. He's been working hard for it, but at the same time it kind of hurts. You lose a friend when he left.


PEDERSEN: Will that have any bearing on your decision?LLOYD: To be honest, I can't say. I don't know. His defense fit the type of player I am, but like I say this is a business and I have to do what's best for my family regardless of what others think or assume I may do.


HADESBECK: Fellow linebackers Sean Lucas and Anton McKenzie could sign elsewhere too. Would that affect your decision?LLOYD: People don't understand that you grow friendships with each player and chemistry is the most important thing out of a lot of things on that field. Not having those two would have a lot to do with how things go because you have to learn to play with new players. Those two don't have anything to do with my decision. What does, is my agent Marty and Eric Tillman putting me in the best situation possible.


LYNCH: Do you think we can get back to the Grey Cup in 2009?LLOYD: Yah we can get back to the Grey Cup in 2009. We shouldn't been back in the Grey Cup in 2008 but I'm going to leave that situation alone. We have a very strong chance of making it there again, it just depends on who's leading us and if people want to follow.


PEDERSEN: Were you happy Darian Durant's agreed to come back?LLOYD: That's a very exciting thing. He called me and told me he's going back to Saskatchewan and he asked me if I'm coming back. I told him what I tell everybody else; it's not in my hands. I'm one of the best middle linebackers in the league and it doesn't come down to money. It comes down to respect.


PEDERSEN: Do you have a message for Rider fans listening tonight??LLOYD: My message to Rider fans is that I truly respect your support behind me and if anything else comes about, y'all will find about it through me or through Rod. This is a business, it's not personal. There will be no finger-pointing. I respect y'all as fans and y'all have been the number-one fans in the CFL and I respect you for that. Much love from Mo Lloyd #47 and hopefully I can be back in Mo-Town.
(Maurice Lloyd photo courtesy CTV.ca)

No comments: